Used 2006 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Love at 1st Sight
By In Love!

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my 01 Civic for an 06 Escape and I could not be happier. This is the first car that I have bought that I was completely in love with. I love the style of the inside and outside and I love the handling. I swear mine handles like a sedan, especially when taking turns. I'm single so I don't need a lot of room, but I can fit so much in my car. In my Honda, I couldn't even fit my niece's stroller in my truck. With my Escape, I can fit my niece's stroller, diaper bag, walker and high chair with room to spare, and of course my niece. I can also fit 4 passenger's comfortably, which I can't say my Honda did. I thought the gas mileage would be an issue but it's not, great on mileage.

I bought my Escape used with 33k miles. I chose the premium care warranty, which I suggest you do if you buy used. It covers more than you think; for example, it will cover a rental which the lower warranty won't.

None, I am completely satisfied.

Stealth Ford Escape
By J.P.

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had driven the Mariner & Escape, & seriously considered the Escape. 3 versions of this platform are manufactured in Kansas City, the 3rd being the Mazda Tribute. Use Edmunds & compare these two vehicles before you buy. They are 95% identical but those few percentage points really could make a difference for you as it did for me. I'm a Ford fan, I really like this vehicle & I got a base unit, which had everything I wanted, out the door for $14,900. I'm very pleased!

Mazda engine, transmission & all other differences to the XLS, but still 95% Ford. Well done!

This vehicle has all I was looking for.

My Cool Suv
By Harvey

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Hi, I'm Harvey from Texas. I love driving my new Ford Escape. It has very good handling and is very easy to control. Not to mention it's very comfortable as well. My wife and I love it because is looks like a small 4x4. In other words it looks like it could go off roading or something. Oh, and wow! the Ford Escape is really great on gas unlike the last vehicle I had. It has really saved me hundreds of dollars in just a couple of months.

My favorite feature is the 6 discs it can hold.

I don't think it really needs improvements.

06 Escape 5 Speed
By Drew

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My family and I really love our new Escape. Gas mileage is wonderful averaging about 25 mpg with mostly city driving! And it's 4X4! Plenty of power with the manual trans. Would like to see more options available with the 5 speed. i.e. fog light, power seat, sunroof, 6 disc privacy glass.

The Stick!

More available options.

Cheap Thrills
By coach2hockey

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I picked up a base model Escape for $15,400 before tax and title and couldn't be more satisfied. I have a city/highway commute and average 29+mpg. Plenty of room in the back for hockey equipment and the split foldown seat allows for the sticks to lay flat without using up the whole second row of seating. For a 4 cylinder there is decent acceleration even with the A/C running. Why would anyone buy a car when they can get one of these?

Body side panels in matte finish makes for easy wipe down cleaning and helps protect against door dings. Even without privacy glass the windows appear to have tinting.

Add floor mats to the base model.