Used 2006 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Indestructible
By April

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love this SUV. I put high miles on every year, drive 6 miles of dirt roads every day, and I have never had to have this SUV back to the dealer for any major warrenty work. This thing runs like a bear through snow, and is so comfortable to drive. I will be buying another one in a few years, and will be givig this one to my nephew for great college vehicle.

Super reliable! Doesn't nickel and dime me, and waste my time with warrenty work.

Light weight body. Really need to hang on to the wheel in high winds.

Good performer
By Escaper

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The only times I had problems was when I first purchased it. The window would rattle and make a odd click noise when starting. The dealer fixed it and no problems since then. The ride is smooth and if you don't watch it, you will be speeding, it's a smooth accelerator. I have the V6 model. Plus a sunroof.

Sunroof and 6 disc CD changer. Smooth acceleration and has a lot of pep. 4 cupholders and fold down rear seats. Unaware of any blind spots. Drives well on ice and rainy roads.

More comfortable seats.

Built by Children
By Richard Coffin

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It's hard to discribe the disappointment experienced from this vehicle. I'll just point out the facts. 48000kms in 34 months from new. 1) 4th transmission on it's way out. 2) ABS/power brakes failed twice. 3) tire pressure sensor failed 4 times 4) rear axle seal leaked 5) windshield washer sensor light failure 6) loose parts banging around in floor or dash since 6 months after purchase. 7) understeers like a cab over tow truck towing an overweight vehicle. 8) Conteinental Contitrac tires rounded out like a wheel barrow tire. aLway properly inflated. 9) 1st gear is like 2nd in any other car. (Poor gear ratios) 10) Avg fuel economy 14.62 miles per gallon or 16.01 liters/100km.

Decent cargo capacity. Rear glass opens separate from door. Power seat.

Wipe the design slate clean and start over. Consider a new engine. This engine first came into production in 1996. Use the 3.5l v6 from teh edge/Fles/Taurus X. it's suppoedly more fuel efficient and decades smoother.

Just Bought and Love it
By Tony Cross

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought this SUV and I love it better than my 08 Suzuki Forenza I had. The Forenza was totaled in an accident. So far this SUV is getting the same gas mileage I had in my Forenza. I love the fact that I have the basic model and it doesn't look to plain. The ride is smoother than my Forenza and comfort is way better than my Forenza.

The stock sound system what else can I say. I can hear bass and not just knocking. The seats are comfortable, in my Forenza my wallet would make me sore, in the Escape I do not have that problem.

The front wheels get a a lot of brake dust on them. After you wash it and go somewhere thats all you see will take it back to the dealer to get that checked. other than that it is a great SUV. Glad i bought this and not another Suzuki

Near the top in minis
By hughie

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have hammered and hammered my Escape, driven 5,500 miles RT from Southern Cal, no problem. I average about 21 mpg. I nearly red line the little dude on a daily basis. Of course I use synthetic oil and rotate the tires every 5k. This has to be one of the best autos I've owned, Euro and domestic. My tires have thousands of miles left (Goodyear). I'm at 46k miles in just under 2 years.

Engine. Stereo. Seats/comfort. Distinctive, rugged look.

Drivers side rear view mirror. Terrible blind spot