Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 399 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Don't bother with the base 4 cylinder
By bsumorgan

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I got a job where I needed to carry stuff for work and I also needed to haul our small family around in the winter. The ford escape seemed like a perfect fit. It drove well enough, but the 4 cylinder is just plain lethargic. At low gears it's all right, but in second and third, well, you had better not be making emergency maneuvers. The arm rests are hard and unforgiving. I didn't like the position of the seats relative to the floor. The 4WD, however, was FANTASTIC! I could drive like a complete idiot on snow and ice, and it didn't matter. Ford AWD is much better than the AWD that I had in the Saturn Vue I bought after owning this. My advice: get the nicer trim level with the 6 cyl and 4wd.

4wd

Sound system is pretty poor on the base model. Mileage was disappointing with the 4cyl. Why bother with it?

Nice truck
By SUVguy

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my escape in October of 04 with 13,000 miles on it. Thus far only one major repair which was the ignition module around 40,000 miles. Other than that just normal wear and tear (water pump, serpentine belt etc). Overall very pleased with the performance and reliability. Just hit the 110,000 mile mark.

Leather interior, power seats, windows and roof.

Gas mileage is horrible. I'm lucky if I get 15 miles to the gallon. "AWD all the time".

Bad Plugs
By Bill

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

For the first five years car has been great. Not happy with interior. Upholstery wearing out much to soon. What really steams me is that at 38000 miles the plugs, coils and power module have just gone out. With this mileage I can't believe it. I have been a loyal Ford BUT!

My wife drives it more than I. But when I do I like th turning radius and the ease when it comes to parking.

Better upholstery

Very Dependable!
By Fred Reno

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

165,600 miles with original brakes, shocks, clutch, and battery. This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned.....it drives as good as the day I bought it.

Easy to remove back bottom seats. Nice clearance from the road. Generous back seat room. A very functional vehicle!

My only complaint is that the noise level is unpleasant at highway speeds. If you are on the highway very much you may want to consider ear plugs. Otherwise I love the my Escape!

Time to get rid of
By ejbjb

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love my Escape. 2 problems...brake routers warp and need turning or replacement frequently. 121000km and the engine has died. Will replace with a newer Escape. Reliable, great cargo hauling, good basic transportation.

Easy to get in and out of. Great hauling capacity.

Better fuel economy.