Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 337 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Nice truck
By SUVguy

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my escape in October of 04 with 13,000 miles on it. Thus far only one major repair which was the ignition module around 40,000 miles. Other than that just normal wear and tear (water pump, serpentine belt etc). Overall very pleased with the performance and reliability. Just hit the 110,000 mile mark.

Leather interior, power seats, windows and roof.

Gas mileage is horrible. I'm lucky if I get 15 miles to the gallon. "AWD all the time".

Bad Plugs
By Bill

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

For the first five years car has been great. Not happy with interior. Upholstery wearing out much to soon. What really steams me is that at 38000 miles the plugs, coils and power module have just gone out. With this mileage I can't believe it. I have been a loyal Ford BUT!

My wife drives it more than I. But when I do I like th turning radius and the ease when it comes to parking.

Better upholstery

Very Dependable!
By Fred Reno

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

165,600 miles with original brakes, shocks, clutch, and battery. This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned.....it drives as good as the day I bought it.

Easy to remove back bottom seats. Nice clearance from the road. Generous back seat room. A very functional vehicle!

My only complaint is that the noise level is unpleasant at highway speeds. If you are on the highway very much you may want to consider ear plugs. Otherwise I love the my Escape!

Time to get rid of
By ejbjb

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love my Escape. 2 problems...brake routers warp and need turning or replacement frequently. 121000km and the engine has died. Will replace with a newer Escape. Reliable, great cargo hauling, good basic transportation.

Easy to get in and out of. Great hauling capacity.

Better fuel economy.

9 months in on 2005 V6 2wd
By invictarocks

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after a lot of research on Subaru Forrester, RAV4, Honda CRV and the Escape. I did some test drives, and the Forrester was the fastest and funnest, but a little small, and my buying decision came right after a bad experience with a Subaru dealership. The RAV4 seat was unbearable in the "fold down, kicking back" position, and sitting on the back with the hatch up was designed OUT of the model years I was looking at. I didn't like the way the RAV4 looked driving down the road from behind, as the rear suspension didn't inspire much confidence. I LOVE my Escape, and it's styling. The gas mileage was a little disappointing at 20.

MACH stereo is really good; fold flat rear seats are great, and the V6 has more than enough power. Seems faster than the later (heavier?) models with the 240hp.

They've taken care of the two biggest complaints, which were the transmission and the Gas fill triggering some pumps to shut off prematurely.