Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 399 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Ford Escape purchased brand new
By kyleservice

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We picked up this Ford Escape new in 2005.
So far in 2012, it has about 72,000 miles on it, with absolutely zero problems so far.
(Well, I did have to replace the battery this spring.)
This SUV still has the same tires, same brakes, same exhaust system.
I've looked at the front and rear brakes, they look like they'll go many more miles before needing replacement.

We might have to replace the tires this fall, this is Wisconsin, and we do have snow around here.

Complete reliability, good handling, handles the snow with few problems. The rear seats fold down flat, and the back seat backrest cushions can easily be removed for a little extra space. It gets about 22.5 MPH in mixed city/highway, and around 25 on highway only while holding about 70 MPH.

The original tires can be noisy on the highway. That's about all I can think of. Could use a little more cargo space, but then it would not be a Ford Escape.

Do not buy this junk!
By maxout06

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2005 Escape XLT with 78,000 on the odometer. Good price and the thing looked cherry. After driving it for a couple months, the OBD light came on and it started misfiring. After a little research, I found out Ford used sub-standard parts to build this model. The ignition coils burn out the drivers in the ECM at about 100,000 miles. Well past warranty stage. Ford knew of this and sent a memo to dealers on what to look for if the code P0351 was showing. A repair that costs average $1,500. The worst thing is since this issue took place after market, the only ECM's left are used or reman. This is the reason people are buying Asian cars more. Ford, you people are crooks.

Great alternative to full-size gas guzzlers. Dependable in the snow.

Worry about customer loyalty more than saving a few dollars. Not charging people a load of cash to pay for your mistake would help.

2005 Ford Escape is a great vehicle!
By kpbo24

2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had to junk my 2005 Dodge Neon after many, many problems and decided to buy this 2005 Ford Escape to replace it.
I am very happy that I did.
It runs great, even with 90,000 miles on it.
I haven't had the opportunity to try out the all wheel drive in the snow yet.
The only issue I have with the vehicle is that it is a gas guzzler.
I only get about 20 miles to the gallon, as I do mostly city driving.
It seems like I just fill it up and the next thing I know my tank is down 25 to 50 percent.
I got nitro put into my tires to increase the gas milage a little bit.

The power driver seat is sweet. I like the 6 CD changer built in the dash. My favorite feature is the moon roof. It's as close to a convertible as I'll be getting in the near future.

Better gas milage would be a plus.

Gas Tank
By jerod

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently switched from a 2003 Explorer to the 05 Escape and although I really loved and miss the Explorer, I think the Escape is great. The only thing that really pisses me off every time is when the gas hose shuts off. I should be able to start the gas and walk away. I live in Wisconsin. It's cold. Come on! Other than that I love it :)

The towing kit I put on it.

Make it come with a towing kit. I have a boat and camper.

Overall a nice little SUV
By Gpowers

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the wife's car, not mine. We had it since new. Dislikes, no power passenger seat, no compass or outside temp display, Uncomfortable seats everywhere except driver. Bad design on heated seats switch placement and function (can't see light, no temperature control, turns on accidentally) , poor placement of cruise on switch(on steering wheel, accidentally gets turned off), noisy tires at road speed. V6 gets buzzy when in second and delivers less than stellar mileage (19 City, 21 Hwy). Great vehicle in snow and reliable as a rock. Wife loves it. I'm not as impressed. I hope Ford addressed these issues in future versions. Only problem was front brakes at 39K which is maintenance.

AWD, V6, nice optional stereo, air bags & curtains, high driving position, Great visibility, Excellent roadability other than noisy at speed.

Make heated seats temp adjustable and put switch on dash or in console. Fix noisy tires. Add power to passenger's seat. Make back seats more comfortable. Add the compass and outside temp gauge like any other SUV's top model