Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 400 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

My first Ford and SUV
By dee_hayden

2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 Sportx
in 2013 at Oak Motors. I had a 94' Pontiac Grand Prix prior to that, but had to trade it in due a oil leak. I was going outta state to Wisconsin and needed the extra space. It's been a great vehicle. I've had it for a year now and all I've done is changed the oil in it. It's roomy. Drives smooth. It's comfortable. I've even slept in it on a occasion. It does well on gas too. It has more features than my old car does which I love. It's the first SUV I've ever had. And its my first Ford. If I were to ever trade it in for something else, I'd probably another one.

I love the cd/stereo. I'm happy it has AC and heat. I love the fog lights and the space. I love having a four door vehicle that is descent on gas. My first car was a truck and I missed having a truck. This makes me go back to my roots. Its great for trips. I just don't like leather seats unless they heat up. If ya get an Escape, make sure to get a one that is a V6, it'll be very dependable versus a 4cyl. When driving this vehicle, I feel like I'm driving a luxury car like a Honda or Mercedes.

needs Heated leather seats

It's not worth it. Run away.
By ih8ford2

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Worst purchase I have ever made in my life. Have had nothing but MAJOR problems with this car. it's always one thing after another. I have owned this car for less than 5 years. After my spark plugs and coils went then it was the transmission. After that it was the catalytic converter, and after that the ABS. The final straw came last night when I was driving home from work and the alternator had apparently gone out. now I'm driving 70 on the highway when all power goes out, my power steering seized up and I have to fight for my life to get this junk of crap off the road without killing anyone. Never buying a ford again. Complete and total POS.

Don't make such a POS and sell it for the price of a decent vehicle.

first time hybrid not so well
By mrblue3

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

bought the car only six months ago and its running in to problems.
the first couple months it ran awesome what i expected, good mpg for a suv with awd.
now the cooling system for the HV battery is falling apart piece by piece,
that seems to be just one of fords flaw with the
beginning years of the escape hybrid. first it was the cooling fans the whole kit actually, parts plus labor about 700
at dealer.
now the blend door actuator is not opening to allow
air in to cool the battery. from what i was told by another diagnostic the ac is not working proplery, had that diagnosed and the rear ac line going to the battery is punctered. cant wait to trade it in for a fusion hybrid

mpg

why put the ac lines runni.g to the rear for the HV battery outside, knowing if they get messed up, messes up the whole hybrid system!! should jave thought of a better cooling system.

Wishing I had never gotten it
By tulareave

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Beware, I purchased this car from a dealer and once the 3 month warranty was out the repairs began! Not just routine repairs, we are talking full exhaust, including the catalytic converter. They coils needed multiple replacement (one time leaving me stranded with my children over 200 miles away from home in Amish country!) new battery, and my latest and most annoying problem is that the door ajar light remains on, which would not be a problem but is makes a CONSTANT ringing noise as you are driving and no one seems to know how to make it stop. At one point the interior lights would come back on randomly draining the battery (that was fun in -35° weather). We have to rent a car or borrow a family members car if we are taking an out of town trip because we don't trust our vehicle. I wish I had never gotten it but stuck with it until the loan is paid off. We basically just drive around waiting for the next thing to need replacing.

The best car I've ever owned
By smashley745

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. If you are looking for a more "roomy" car that gets great gas mileage this is it. I get about 30mpg on average driving mostly on the freeway. The seats are super easy to put down, my sister and I have gone camping and slept in the back of my car rather comfortably. If you have never owned a hybrid car it can be rather eerie because it is so quiet, I can't tell you how many times I've panicked at stop lights thinking my car had died when I first bought it.
Down sides:
When your heat is on and the car goes to battery it blows cool air, Not fun in the dead of winter.
Does NOT have a outlet to plug in an mp3 player.

But overall, I love this car.

This car is super easy to to put the back seats down, and is rather roomy for a small SUV. I've hauled just about everything in this car. 6 disc cd player! But there is no mp3 outlet which is a huge bummer. Amazing gas mileage for a small SUV. Driving mostly on the freeway I get on average 30mpg. I've taken 2 long road trips over 1200 miles now and having gas mileage that good is amazing. The screen on the dash tells you how many miles you can go with the amount of gas you have, and once you get down to 50 miles, it beeps and tells you. I love yelling at people for not wearing a seatbelt, now my car does it for me. If the person in the front seat isn't buckled up the car beeps.

The 2005 hybrid can only go up to about 25-30 mph on the battery. The newer Escape hybrid models are far more advanced. If you can afford to dish out a few extra bucks on a newer model, you'll save even more money on gas. But for the price of the 2005 model, you get a good amount of bang for your buck and it's well worth what you pay.