Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 398 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

first time hybrid not so well
By mrblue3

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

bought the car only six months ago and its running in to problems.
the first couple months it ran awesome what i expected, good mpg for a suv with awd.
now the cooling system for the HV battery is falling apart piece by piece,
that seems to be just one of fords flaw with the
beginning years of the escape hybrid. first it was the cooling fans the whole kit actually, parts plus labor about 700
at dealer.
now the blend door actuator is not opening to allow
air in to cool the battery. from what i was told by another diagnostic the ac is not working proplery, had that diagnosed and the rear ac line going to the battery is punctered. cant wait to trade it in for a fusion hybrid

mpg

why put the ac lines runni.g to the rear for the HV battery outside, knowing if they get messed up, messes up the whole hybrid system!! should jave thought of a better cooling system.

Wishing I had never gotten it
By tulareave

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Beware, I purchased this car from a dealer and once the 3 month warranty was out the repairs began! Not just routine repairs, we are talking full exhaust, including the catalytic converter. They coils needed multiple replacement (one time leaving me stranded with my children over 200 miles away from home in Amish country!) new battery, and my latest and most annoying problem is that the door ajar light remains on, which would not be a problem but is makes a CONSTANT ringing noise as you are driving and no one seems to know how to make it stop. At one point the interior lights would come back on randomly draining the battery (that was fun in -35° weather). We have to rent a car or borrow a family members car if we are taking an out of town trip because we don't trust our vehicle. I wish I had never gotten it but stuck with it until the loan is paid off. We basically just drive around waiting for the next thing to need replacing.

The best car I've ever owned
By smashley745

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. If you are looking for a more "roomy" car that gets great gas mileage this is it. I get about 30mpg on average driving mostly on the freeway. The seats are super easy to put down, my sister and I have gone camping and slept in the back of my car rather comfortably. If you have never owned a hybrid car it can be rather eerie because it is so quiet, I can't tell you how many times I've panicked at stop lights thinking my car had died when I first bought it.
Down sides:
When your heat is on and the car goes to battery it blows cool air, Not fun in the dead of winter.
Does NOT have a outlet to plug in an mp3 player.

But overall, I love this car.

This car is super easy to to put the back seats down, and is rather roomy for a small SUV. I've hauled just about everything in this car. 6 disc cd player! But there is no mp3 outlet which is a huge bummer. Amazing gas mileage for a small SUV. Driving mostly on the freeway I get on average 30mpg. I've taken 2 long road trips over 1200 miles now and having gas mileage that good is amazing. The screen on the dash tells you how many miles you can go with the amount of gas you have, and once you get down to 50 miles, it beeps and tells you. I love yelling at people for not wearing a seatbelt, now my car does it for me. If the person in the front seat isn't buckled up the car beeps.

The 2005 hybrid can only go up to about 25-30 mph on the battery. The newer Escape hybrid models are far more advanced. If you can afford to dish out a few extra bucks on a newer model, you'll save even more money on gas. But for the price of the 2005 model, you get a good amount of bang for your buck and it's well worth what you pay.

planning a long trip
By leavingjersey

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Escape in 2010 from Ford dealership in Mount Holly,New Jersey; the minute I took it home I had problems with the censors. Called Dealership and after much heated discussion they repaired it. Mileage is about 21 mpg. Should have inspected the undercarriage better. Found lots of rust. After living in New Jersey and driving in snow and ice, which we have plenty of, I'm planning to drive to San Antonio, Texas. I'm a little nervous to attempt the trip. Will update after my arrival in Texas.

Seat heater comes in handy with Jersey weather.

These engines were prebuilt and inserted into the body. When things like the oil pan need repair, the whole engine has to be hoisted out. No other way. Big Problem.

Ford Escape purchased brand new
By kyleservice

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We picked up this Ford Escape new in 2005.
So far in 2012, it has about 72,000 miles on it, with absolutely zero problems so far.
(Well, I did have to replace the battery this spring.)
This SUV still has the same tires, same brakes, same exhaust system.
I've looked at the front and rear brakes, they look like they'll go many more miles before needing replacement.

We might have to replace the tires this fall, this is Wisconsin, and we do have snow around here.

Complete reliability, good handling, handles the snow with few problems. The rear seats fold down flat, and the back seat backrest cushions can easily be removed for a little extra space. It gets about 22.5 MPH in mixed city/highway, and around 25 on highway only while holding about 70 MPH.

The original tires can be noisy on the highway. That's about all I can think of. Could use a little more cargo space, but then it would not be a Ford Escape.