Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 398 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Definitely Recommend
By Ritchie

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our first SUV and therefore we researched and test drove all competitors. Amongst mid-size, above average SUVs, this is clearly the best. We drove almost 5,000 kms (March Break trip) in the third week of ownership and have nothing but great things to say about the comfort, handling and performance. Very responsive engine performance and steering and rides comfortably on semi-rough roads (don't have any reason to take it off-road). My wife and I are 5'9" and 5'7" respectively and there is ample leg, head and shoulder room. Love the moonroof, heated seats, upgraded stereo system. Really like the simple, classy exterior styling unlike some of the competition. Reasonable storage room in rear.

Living in Canada, heated seats and heated mirrors are great. Interior styling is both comfortable and attractive. Quiet engine and super stereo makes for 'I don't mind long trips' feeling. Great handling makes it fun to drive. Dash gauges are clearly visible and provide useful information.

Serious problem: need to add small contoured mirrors to side mirrors to eliminate blind spots. Difficult access to heated seat on/off button. Should offer climate control A/C. Should have inside/outside temperature gauges. Not always sure when moonroof is closed. Fuel economy could be improved.

Love escaping in my new Escape!
By Rose

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love the incredibly roomy design with the great fuel economy I get with this car! Its big like an SUV and roomy in the front and back with lots of perks but still gets the great mileage of an economy car.

My Escape is a 5 speed and she really has a lot of get up and go. I also love all of the interior room. Three adults can sit comfortably in the back.

I would only suggest putting cruise control in the 5 speed.

My Escape
By rljl

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun to drive. Lives up to all its promises.

AWD worked great this winter. I felt very confident driving in the snow.

Needs better gas mpg.

Great lil SUV
By purplewool

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Escape. I get better milage than sticker promised. I love driving it. I am in it much of the day and find it comfortable.

I have all the features I wanted and great mileage, too.

The fabric used for the seats is a magnet for lint and hair. Since I have long hair, and transport my dogs a lot, I am constantly brushing the seats.

Finally - a non-hog SUV
By Ted Olsen

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ford scores high in my books for having produced a really driveable small SUV that isn't guzzling gas but performs above expectations. I haven't had a moments regret. Everything about my Ford Escape is fun - plenty of power, enough room, sweet design, easy handling, great road holding. I'm a happy camper, so to speak.