Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 398 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Glad I waited
By Dennis

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

My first SUV. Went for the 4 cylinder. Great on gas, over 22 mpg average. Extremely comfortable ride, easy to manage in traffic. Interior well designed, a real joy to drive. All the creature comforts of a sedan with the storage and security of a 4 wheel drive. Lots of leg room in the back. Really hugs the wet and snowy roads. Best vehicle I ever owned in 41 years of driving.

Everything.

The white background on the speedometer and tach but not the fuel and temp gauges looks funny.

Hybrid SUV -- Feels Like Cheating
By Bullwinkle

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I simply love my Escape Hybrid. I have all the room I need for the wife, 2 kids, and the dog in the back, and yet I regularly get fuel economy close to 30 mpg average per tank.

The hybrid is amazing. It's also roomy, and the stereo is lovely.

I wish it were a bit more high-tech. Bluetooth, better navigation, and a towing package would be great.

DRIVING FUN
By keith

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in California and drove it back to Denver Colorado. I got 29 mpg. I drive about 30 miles one way, to and from work and get about 32 to 35 mpg. This comes from doing the math, not looking at the gauges. Not the best highway vehicle, but a great around town and country road vehicle. Highway the vehicle does not feel real stable at 75 mph, however it does have the power to handle the highways.

The Nav system can be a dream when it comes to getting out of towns you don't know. It gives plenty of warning when to turn.

Improve highway handling, a little more stability would be nice.

Not too bad for Ford's first attempt
By Camper

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Living in Michigan, you get dirty looks and raised eyebrows if you don't buy American. Michigan is also very spread out, with my daily commute being 35 miles each way, mostly freeway. This SUV is just a regular 4 cylinder car at freeway speeds (70 mph), with no benefit of fuel economy. Engine sounds terrible at 70 mph. But it is great for city driving (particularly stop and go traffic). Ford says the towing capacity is only 750 lbs., which is very non-SUV like. We would not buy this again. Toyota Highlander hybrid is coming, and we are trading in the Ford for Toyota. The Toyota is much more comfortable and can tow our 1500 lb. pop up camper. So much for the eyebrows.

I like the Navigation system with fuel economy display, but not for the price. Engine shuts down at traffic lights and when waiting in parking lots.

More options (moonroof, puddle lights, 6 cylinder hybrid) and heavier towing capacity.

Go Anywhere
By ecila5200

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first winter driving experience with the 2005 Ford Escape and I couldn't ask for a safer drive. We get a lot of snow here in Newfoundland and winter driving can take its toll on some vehicles. But the Ford Escape came through with flying colors.

Not having to switch to 4 wheel drive. Lots of leg room and head room - big enough to carry 5 passengers comfortably.

Light switch controls from the front panel would be nice instead of having to reach behind you overhead to turn on internal lights.