Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 398 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

By Bob

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent handling. Plenty of power, especially in the snow. Responsive vehicle.

Handling, interior comfort & convenience.

Third row seat.

The Wave is here
By Jerry Williams

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was a certified master mechanic and a service director for three states. I have handled a lot of car complaints and driven a lot of cars and trucks. I ordered a new Ford hybrid about 6 months ago, and just got it. But it was well worth the wait. This is the quietest SUV, car, truck or anything that I have ever driven. It has to be an engineering breakthrough for Ford. It has power enough to pull up to 4,800 pounds (my boats and mowing equipment). I can tow it behind my motor home with all four wheels on the ground. I can get on the freeway very quickly. All the power you need. The warranty is 100,000 or 8 years drivetrain and battery.

The gas mileage. The warranty. The power. The feel of the SUV as you drive down the road. The 6 disk radio, standard all power locks and windows and cruise control. Very good price. The service intervals of 10,000 miles. Everything about this SUV is above and beyond my expectations.

The a/c requires a little getting used to.

Escape Well Developed for the Long Run
By Richard

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive long distances in my business and appreciate the comfort and utility of the Escape. I also drive in very hot climates of the Southwest and the air conditioner is outstanding. Picking up speed with the air conditioner on at speed is extremely satisfactory. I would recommend the vehicle to anyone; new buyers, young buyers, buyers that want to be able to carry the golf clubs everywhere as I do, or senior citizens.

For a vehicle that is economical, I love the roominess of both the back seat and the carry on capacity for luggage, golf clubs, and groceries/shopping items.

Exceeded expectations
By Dave

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I were hoping to pay off our 2002 Jetta, until mechanical issues began cropping up. I decided against sinking a large chunk of change to pay it off, and buy new again. Test drove larger SUV's (4Runner, Pathfinder). I really wanted a Honda Pilot. I loved the ride and handling. Reality set in, and we opted for a smaller SUV because of price. It was between the CR-V and Escape. We bought the Ford because of rebates, discounts and pleasurable buying experience from dealer, and it's grown on me more and more each day. Very surprised by the amount of room, power, and handling.

Lots of room and cargo capacity. Good power from V6. Steering feel. Very supportive seats. Comfortable ergonomics for driver.

Typical Ford drivetrain vibrations. My F150 had same gas pedal "buzz" at certain speeds. Lacks drivetrain smoothness of Honda CR-V. Needs a larger gas tank/better mileage. If Honda Pilot can get 17/22 with more room and 255bhp, Escape should be better. Climate control knobs feel flimsy and cheap.

It is fun to drive it!
By L.Castillo

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For starters it's the first time I don't see the car I am driving all over! It's unique since I got a rare exterior color one. Unlike Priuses that are all over it seems. But in what matters, it is still an SUV. I fit inside and I am a big guy, and uphill, it does NOT cower. True, one has to learn how to drive all over again, not be heavy on the gas or the brakes. There is assistance there that was not available before. What I cannot understand is why Ford is not gearing that Kansas plant to produce more of these babies. Until Toyota brings out the Highlander (overpriced if you ask me) they had the market for themselves! I love it, period! p.s. I have THE red one.

The looks. It looks sharp!

Like all Fords, the interior detailing could be improved. The screen on the satellite navigation always gets the comment: "why that small?" although I say it is fine. As usual the INTELLIGENCE behind the navigation is, well, artificial. If you know the best way; follow your brain.