Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 398 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Great Vehicle
By Brian Yee

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape last December and it hasn't let me down yet. It's quick and comfortable like a car, like a quick car, and it still rides right over the bumps like an SUV. I can fit a lot in the rear area, including a few surf boards or my dogs crates. All of the seats in the back fold down and they are all comfortable. The front seat is fully adjustable and it feels really nicely put together, like a really stiff nice ride. The 6 CD changer is nice, but the speakers could be a little better. There are enough room for cups and CDs or whatever else. It looks great and it feels wonderful to drive, I really recommend going and driving an Escape for yourself.

Engine speed and Power, Small size outside, big inside, the tight construction and ease of driveability.

The speakers! I think that is possibly the only thing wrong with this vehicle.

747 Review
By k. brown

2005 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a new SUV that would give better gas mileage and performance than my Jeep Cherokee. I found it in my new Limited Escape. The 6 is really snappy and I get 20+ miles in combo driving. For a less expensive SUV I got a great deal and am very satisfied.

Looks great, not boxy.

Softer seats.

It's a great little SUV
By Denise

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is a great fun vehicle to drive. It is reliable and a great vehicle to travel in with the family. It has plenty of room, very comfortable and still isn't as big as most of the other SUV's that are on the road. It's perfect for a smaller family. And our Lab loves riding in the back area.

The small storage compartment in the rear cargo area. Great for jumper cable and things like that. Keeps them neat and out of the way. Also side air bags are a great comfort.

I think that they should bring back the rear reclining seats that were in the 2004 model.

A nice small SVU
By syoung

2005 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far, it has been unfailingly reliable. Mine is a very early example of the 2005 year. I have the 4 wheel drive version; the 4 wheel drive is just flawless. You don't generally notice when it engages, but traction is there all the time. Great room for an SUV of this class - but why don't they make them six inches wider? They'd do better to eliminate the floor console and install under-seat bins.

Folks wanting 4 wheel drive for better traction on rain and snow slick streets will find this perfect. It's not what I'd use if I were going serious 4 wheeling on a regular basis. Very responsive engine. Hopefully I never find out about the side curtain airbags. Good visibility all around.

Nose feels light at higher speeds. Electronics are primitive - no decent navigation system, for example. Radio compartment is rather small. No provision for an I-pod. Adjustable rear seats would be a plus.

Where did quality go?
By Mike Noel

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After owning foreign-made cars for several years, my wife and I thought we'd give American-built cars a try; so we bought Fords - an Escape for me and an Expedition for her. We hardly can keep them out of the shop. I've had a rattle in the dash that is now in for its 4th fix this year. Also, each morning when I start the car, there is a "screech" of metal on metal that my Ford dealership tells me they've never heard before. They are trying to fix it. For us, no more American-made cars. We are going to go back to Toyota and Honda.

Gas mileage (21/gal), stereo system, leather interior, responsive handling, good value (if everything worked properly), air conditioner better than the Honda CR-V, split second row folding seats.

Cup holders (awkward to use), less road noise, fewer rattles.