Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 398 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sonic Blue First Review
By jomomma

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 78 year old mother bought this sonic blue hybrid SUV. She is still trying to figure out some of the technology, but loves it. Seats could be a little more "cushiony"; pretty firm, for an older lady with not much fat (and me too), more plumpness in the seating would be nice. Was told it has "intelligent 4WD", meaning it puts itself into 4WD when it needs to; would be nice to have a light or something on the instrument panel that shows when it is actually in 4WD. But so far we love this little hybrid SUV! Oh yeah, sometimes there is a pretty loud "thump" when the electric engine kicks in, like while sitting at a light, that kinda freaks you out, I thought what the heck just hit my car?

Electric engine takes getting used to driving. It's really weird when backing up and sitting at a stop light, you don't hear a thing. Very quiet electric motor, don't know it's running half the time. Comfortable ride .So fun to drive, handles like a dream!

Plump up the seats cushioning. Add a light on the instrument panel showing when it has intelligently placed itself in 4WD. Fix the "thump" of the electric engine kicking in; it is quite disconcerting when you are sitting still, sounds like something hit the car.

Great little vehicle
By Jeffrey Scott

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have two Escapes and this is the second "set" of them that we have purchased and we love them. They are a great small SUV and we can use them for just about anything. We are going to try the new hybrid model next year!

We like everything about them.

Maybe a little bit more interior room would be nice but not necessary.

Great Performance
By zadscmc

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second hybrid, the first with a CVT. After getting "used" to how the transmission drives the car, the characteristics of electric assist, and the general drive of the SUV, we are now averaging well over 30 MPG. The dealer has been very good, and to date, we've had no problems whatsoever. We expect to be able to push this to 35 MPG by the end of the summer.

Excellent gas mileage. Fold flat 60/40 back seats. Excellent, stable platform.

Main, basic, display panel is insufficient and hard to use. Display is difficult to see in twilight. Configuration is a bid hard for a smaller person to use, as the console between the front seats becomes unusual. Cup holders are in an awkward spot.

Very Satisfied
By H. Mayo

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently traded in my Jeep Cherokee which I loved but had a lot of maintenance problems with it. I decided on the Ford Escape and it went through its first winter with no problems. I love the cargo space which is more than the Ford Explorer 2004 has in it. Enjoy. Definitely a great buy.

6 CD changer.

More arm room.

Hybrid for the highway driver
By CJS

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I thought I was going to buy a Toyota Highlander, but after comparing the two wound up with the Escape. This is my first American vehicle and I've been surprisingly happy with it considering how much I've hated some US-made rental cars. The interior controls are comfortingly similar to the Mazda I gave up (probably due to the fact that Escape was originally a joint Ford-Mazda project). The shift between gas and electric is imperceptible unless you're looking at the tach. The CVT and regenerative brakes give the car a slightly different feel than other cars, but not in a bad way. I do a lot of highway driving (24,000 miles a year) and have 6,000 miles in 3 months.

Gas mileage: I get around 30/31 mpg with minimal stop and go driving, 29 mpg on highway road trips. Stop and go driving makes the mileage go up. Traffic jams can be fun! Cargo space: smaller than the Toyota Highlander, but flatter and better for my purposes (traveling with a couple of large dogs).

As mentioned on other reviews, the drivers side seat belt could use a stronger recoil. The interior dome light needs to be further forward for easier access from the front seats. The ignition switch should have a courtesy light. Otherwise it's got all the conveniences that I expect.