Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 399 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Newest Gadget!
By Marci

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I desperately needed a new car last year. I'm fortunate in that I can afford anything non "exotic." NOTHING on the market appealed to me visually. When I heard that Ford and Lexus were making hybrid SUVs I was interested. Last summer, I first test drove a Lexus 330 as it was the most similar thing they had to the delayed 400H -- lovely to look at but ergonomically it was VERY uncomfortable. The Escape is much more functional, and WAAAAY too basic on the interior, but was more comfortable, so I bought it. The CVT is fun; sort of a crossbreed. The brakes were hard to get used to; the stopping distance is further. The interior is CHEAP! Not even clothing hooks for dry-cleaning pick-ups.

The novelty of having a "first in breed." WONDERFUL acceleration. The silence of the electric engine when in slow traffic. GPS navigation; would have preferred a more sophisticated system though. The other monitors: fuel economy, power source. Could use an outside thermometer.

I think Ford would have realized that anyone willing to shell out an extra 3K would be willing to spend more for better quality interiors. The center console needs to be extended -- VERY uncomfortable. Rear head-rests BLOCK visibility dangerously. Seat warmers. Improve A/C!

2005 Escape Hybrid
By Mary Manley

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very nice car for the price range with WONDERFUL gas mileage. I drive 100+ miles per day, mostly highway, and my average miles per gallon is now 36.2.

Back-up sensor, GPS only feature -- currently it is only available if you purchase the "Hybrid Energy Audiophile."

good to look at good for the environment
By Lynn Godshall

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It really works in Colorado - I have taken it off off road and I love it! Super great mileage in the city. Hybrids rule!

Hybrid engine - reliable and looks good!

Air conditioning in back.

LOVE THIS CAR
By Simone

2005 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have had Escape '05 Limited for 3 days; test drove about 9 months ago and last week when a tree finished off my '97 RAV4 I knew it was time. This car is fabulous. The leather seats are worth every penny (you will be sorry if you settle for cloth). It drives effortlessly, comfortably with little road noise, good stereo, beautiful interior. I have read all reviews on Edmunds for Tribute, CR-V, RAV4 and more people than any other car agree about the Escape - it is FUN! See CR-V complaints about noise, few standard options, RAV4 about comfort and power, and Tribute for just plain boring exterior. Mariner is supposed to be equal car but not many people are buying it or have rated it.

Leather seats, color (gold ash), smooth ride, very un-truck like, moonroof, visibility, feels solid and safe, extremely comfortable. Don't purchase $150 cargo storage - found one on clearance at Target for 8 bucks.

Cheap plastic on interior. My '97 RAV4 also had a plastic dash but when you knocked on it at least it did not sound hollow. Carpet on floor could be nicer.

Escape
By Mary Jo

2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun car to drive. Very comfortable. Just the right size for me.

I like the looks of the Escape. Think it looks sporty. I also like the more squareness of a SUV, car etc.

Gas mileage. Would like the front console to come up a little closer since I like to rest my arm on that. I miss having my headlights come on automatically. Back lift door takes too much of a push to close. I find when I get in the car the light comes on that it is still open.