Used 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Love it
By mcjones

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the first truck I have ever owned so it is hard for me to compare a non-HEV truck to this one. I have been very impressed with the gas mileage and performance. I am averaging 33 mpg combined driving in the summer and 26 mpg combined driving in the winter. The mechanism that switches from full electric to hybrid when accelerating from a stop is very impressive. It is as seamless as could possibly be expected. I am not a very fast driver but I can report that this vehicle accelerates very slowly compared with previous cars that I have owned. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking to use less gasoline and can afford the extra cost of the hybrid vs. standard Escape.

Electric to hybrid transition mechanism, electric steering, CVT transmission, easily convertible rear seating, large cargo area and fuel efficiency.

Finding products associated with regular maintenance have been very difficult. Only the dealer has these parts. $50 air filter is ridiculous.

My first year in my Escape Hybrid
By Michael Bares

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After a shaky start in my Ford Escape Hybrid I'm now pleased with my purchase. I knew that the gas prices would soar this year and wanted to be the first in Denver to have one so I found mine on eBay and flew to NJ to pick it up. I must say that Ford did respond quickly to some major trouble in the beginning -- my entire high voltage battery module had to be replaced after a couple of months and they did take care of it. Now I find the vehicle is running beautifully and fuel economy has improved to around 30mpg combined city/highway. The only misgiving I have now is having gotten a personalized plate (B-GREEN) Too many people want to talk to me in traffic and even some take pictures.

Smooth and Quiet ride, Styling, Seating comfort, Audiophile Sound System, Navigation System, Fuel Economy.

Exterior Temp Gauge, Flexible Fuel Vehicle -- able to run on E-85, iPod Dock, Better rear cargo area carpet fitment and attachment, Engine Temperature Gauge, Optional additional battery capacity for better fuel economy.

I'm disappointed
By Wendy

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I thought I was buying a fun economical vehicle. It is not getting the mileage I had hoped. Several items have come apart or do not work as well as they should. I don't like the dash board styling. I wish Ford had offered some helpful live hints about how to drive it for its best economy. (They have offered now). Also, you HAVE to be sure to keep the maintenance up and I'm worried about the cost of a replacement battery when mine dies. Also, the leather seats are only partially covered.

I like the 6 CD changer.

Someone who knows how the vehicle works should be on hand to show new buyers the ins and outs of the vehicle. Spend a bit more on quality inside.

AWD Hybrid Escape
By NYdriver

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We now have close to 2000 miles and the gas mileage is 31.5 mpg. We like the SUV a lot. There is no other 4WD SUV that comes close to the gas mileage and living in the north east where the winters are brutal, 4WD is very important.

Better mpg is always a never ending goal, hopefully physics will not hinder the goal like it appears to have done for now.

I Really Like It
By Ira

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Based on my first 1000 miles I achieved 29.4 mpg. For a car this size and with AWD I am pleased with the mileage. The vehicle has a stiff European type ride and responsive steering. The symbiotic relationship between the electric motors, gas engine, generators and battery results in a smooth, seamless ride. The car is not a luxury vehicle so don't expect frivolous amenities. The car also has good acceleration (153 total horsepower), but the right armrest is too short and the seats could use a little more padding. Overall: I'm very pleased