Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 337 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Very Satisfied
By H. Mayo

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently traded in my Jeep Cherokee which I loved but had a lot of maintenance problems with it. I decided on the Ford Escape and it went through its first winter with no problems. I love the cargo space which is more than the Ford Explorer 2004 has in it. Enjoy. Definitely a great buy.

6 CD changer.

More arm room.

Great Vehicle
By Brian Yee

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape last December and it hasn't let me down yet. It's quick and comfortable like a car, like a quick car, and it still rides right over the bumps like an SUV. I can fit a lot in the rear area, including a few surf boards or my dogs crates. All of the seats in the back fold down and they are all comfortable. The front seat is fully adjustable and it feels really nicely put together, like a really stiff nice ride. The 6 CD changer is nice, but the speakers could be a little better. There are enough room for cups and CDs or whatever else. It looks great and it feels wonderful to drive, I really recommend going and driving an Escape for yourself.

Engine speed and Power, Small size outside, big inside, the tight construction and ease of driveability.

The speakers! I think that is possibly the only thing wrong with this vehicle.

747 Review
By k. brown

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a new SUV that would give better gas mileage and performance than my Jeep Cherokee. I found it in my new Limited Escape. The 6 is really snappy and I get 20+ miles in combo driving. For a less expensive SUV I got a great deal and am very satisfied.

Looks great, not boxy.

Softer seats.

It's a great little SUV
By Denise

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is a great fun vehicle to drive. It is reliable and a great vehicle to travel in with the family. It has plenty of room, very comfortable and still isn't as big as most of the other SUV's that are on the road. It's perfect for a smaller family. And our Lab loves riding in the back area.

The small storage compartment in the rear cargo area. Great for jumper cable and things like that. Keeps them neat and out of the way. Also side air bags are a great comfort.

I think that they should bring back the rear reclining seats that were in the 2004 model.

A nice small SVU
By syoung

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far, it has been unfailingly reliable. Mine is a very early example of the 2005 year. I have the 4 wheel drive version; the 4 wheel drive is just flawless. You don't generally notice when it engages, but traction is there all the time. Great room for an SUV of this class - but why don't they make them six inches wider? They'd do better to eliminate the floor console and install under-seat bins.

Folks wanting 4 wheel drive for better traction on rain and snow slick streets will find this perfect. It's not what I'd use if I were going serious 4 wheeling on a regular basis. Very responsive engine. Hopefully I never find out about the side curtain airbags. Good visibility all around.

Nose feels light at higher speeds. Electronics are primitive - no decent navigation system, for example. Radio compartment is rather small. No provision for an I-pod. Adjustable rear seats would be a plus.