Used 2004 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 277 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

116,000 and still going strong
By 2Fords

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Escape brand new in Feb '04. It has been a great little SUV - our first experience with an SUV. Only had cars or PUs before. I've read some of the problems other people have had and we have not had ANY. Only have replaced tires, brakes and battery (usual stuff). We have one problem with the sunroof sometimes sticking so we do not open it anymore. Have had all maintenance done at dealer & we think that makes a difference. Now at 116,000 - hope to go up to 200,000. We average 21-23mpg - best on trip was 26. I bought a '07 Civic to drive to work & have had more problems with it than this Ford! We use the Escape every weekend for shopping & around town.

We can haul almost anything with the back seats down!! It has been very handy for hauling large items and 50 lb sacks of animal feed . Easy to remove groceries from back. The seats are great-clean up is easy - we haul pets too & grandkids!

Since it's 6 years old, I'm sure any suggested improvements have already been made. Wheel base s/b longer to improve the ride. Ford - you are doing alright!

Mixed bag
By Bassic Steve

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape new and have taken meticulous care of it. The transmission failed me last year at 60K miles - $1K for new solenoid and fluid change. A year later, the transmission is misbehaving the same way again: near 45 mph, skips 2 gears into OD then stutters when you touch the gas to re-awaken the engine. If I want to keep it, I'm facing another $1K repair, with no guarantee that I won't be out another $1K next year. I've enjoyed driving the Escape. However, this issue and other quality defects (window gets stuck open at times, center console vinyl cracked when leaned upon, radiator leak required patch, etc) have turned me back toward a Toyota Highlander.

.Car-like feel when driving .Responsive, smooth-running engine

.Heater and A/C controls clunky and resist adjustment .Poor electric window reliability .Replace unreliable transmission design .Talk about "Ford quality" rivaling Honda's & Toyota's is both cheap and ridiculous. Prove it or continue to lose customers like me

My review
By Escape 04

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

6 months after I bought my escape the transmission went out of it. There was no warranty on it and a new one was going to run me $3,000. I argued with the dealership and ended up only paying $500. But I shouldn't have had to pay anything! Since then it has been a great vehicle.

Sunroof, 6 disc cd player

obviously the transmission stinkks. and the gas mileage isn't so great either.

My Ford Escape
By frosty

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car!! I bought my Escape with 150,000. miles I now have 215,000 and i'm still driving. i have only had scheduled maintenance, tires, and one alternator put on . She's been AWESOME** Ford did great with this one.

6 disc CD and Size.

Road Noise

Have Loved It
By EMTMIKE

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my escape in 2004 brand new. It has plenty of power and has never let me down. Gas mileage isnt great with my average being 20mpg. Odometer is now at 55,000 miles. At this point these are my only complaints...the center console cover was too weak...I put my arm on it in the winter and it cracked..dash vents produce debris (black crumbs) that are noticeable. Gear shift gets in the way of stereo control. Thats it. Plenty of cargo room and great in the snow.

Leather seats are very comfortable. Powerful engine when I need to pass on 2 lane roads. Great handling.

eliminate need to remove headrests to put rear seats down for cargo. strengthen the center console cover. Improve fuel economy.