Used 2004 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 277 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

ESCAPE LOVER
By mohegan

2004 Ford Escape XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had no maintenance problems in 6 years! Toyota put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Switch for lock in 4 wheel drive

Running board rusted badly

Love it!
By macmish

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Escape new in November of 2004. I love the looks - Exterior color is red with tan leather interior. Hot! The performance has been great. I have never had any trouble with it. I recently purchased a 16' tow behind trailer. The Escape tows it like a dream.

Leather seats, cargo room, interior and exterior design.

Gas mileage

2004 Ford Escape XLS 4 cyl
By davidintx

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good all around vehicle with just a few warts.

Good grip around corners at high speed, good stability against high winds, good turning radius, easy to park, easy to get into and out of, great reliability so far, nice interior and well layed out instrument panel and center consol. My MPG range is 19-28.

It's tough to push the clutch, dashboard sqeeks, slow acceleration, noise isolation from the road is mediocre at best, air filter is tough to replace, door speakers buzz at moderate volume, and the engine has a rough idle SOMETIMES.

231,000
By Frosty

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford Escape used in 2005 at the time I purchased it, it had 150,000 miles. I have driven it everywhere , everyday , in all different types of conditions it has been fairly maintenance free until this year but at 231,000 miles that is to be expected. Motor is still great uses no oil and has been changed every 3,000 miles. The only things that I have replaced were the alternator, front wheel bearings, and 2 o2 sensors. All and all not bad. I would love to have another one that is this good.

6 disc CD changer, durability.

Better tougher quality interior, Easier cleaning interior. Road Noise in the cabin.

Escape to LA
By Escape owner

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a joy to own: it looks great, the driving experience and handling give you confidence, is roomy, and is very reliable. It still runs like a charm after 50k miles.

Looks like a more expensive SUV ... I love the gray/black combination ... solid feel and handling

Not too thrilled about the gas mileage: I'm not a lead-foot nor haul that many people around and I get around 15mpg avg. Also, when it rains I hear a noise that sounds like water trickling from a fountain. And have a squeaky noise in the suspension that no one can seem to find the root cause.