Used 2004 Ford Escape XLT SUV Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Theresa

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First thing I have to say is I bought the Sport model with the painted bumpers. I prefer the total look over the plastic bumpers. Next thing I did was purchased a very nice pair of chrome rims and some chrome accessories. It really did dress it up and I get a lot of compliments on the appearance of it. It does ride a little rough. I'm glad to hear another reviewer mention the clunking noise with the brakes. I thought I was hearing things. Also, an option of an 8 cylinder would be nice. This is the second SUV I've owned, but the first Ford SUV and I think I'm keeping it for a long, long time. I love my Ford Escape!

I like the appearance with the painted bumpers versus the plastic bumpers. Plus a lot of the options were standard with the Sport model I purchased.

Once again I would have to say the clunking noise with brakes. I seriously thought something was wrong with it.

Great Car
By Roger122387

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just hit 50,000 miles and this car is great! I also owned an 04 Mazda Tribute and they have both been great. The only thing that bothers me is the brakes wearing too quick and the traction not being too great in rainy weather. I have actually hydroplaned off the road in both of my vehicles. The engine sounds just as strong as it did new and everything is great on it. Some things do seem a little cheap on it (like the console and glove box). One big complaint I hear from everyone is the gas mileage is AWFUL...it does not match with the window sticker at all. It would be nice to get 25 mpg on the highway with the V6 but it's nowhere near that.

Fun to drive, 6 CD changer with tweeters and subwoofer (factory), sporty leather seat design, the sporty aluminum wheels.

Better made interior parts (glove box, door handles, console). To be better in wet weather.

I Love It
By Jackie

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Escape mainly because my daughter & grandson live 300 miles away and it's all PA turnpike. I wanted something comfortable and economic to make the 5 hour trip (frequently) but big enough to haul everything that I must take. My Escape has carried tools, furniture (they recently purchased a house) and a lot of toys. I love my Escape, the ride is extremely comfortable, not truck-like, sporty and a real pleasure to drive

I love the fact that the Escape does not have painted bumpers like a lot of vehicles currently on the market. My Escape must last a long time and painted bumpers show chips and dings. I also love the moonroof I now understand how nice it is to brighten the ride.

If I had to suggest anything, guess it would be a console that flips up. Isn't that amazing - the only feature that I would change.

escape
By layne

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

have really enjoyed the ford escape.
bought for wife to drive because we
needed room for two car seats side by
side. has worked out great. power from
the v6 has been amazing. the ride is
great. easy to get in and out. i really
love this vehicle.

the v6 engine. really has great get up and go. not under powered like other small suv's with 4 cyl that do not offer the v6

fuel economy maybe 2-5 miles to the galoon more would be great.

Ford Escape good buy.
By Johndoe30

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

For the price and gas mileage, it is
the best buy. I spent a year searching
and researching SUVs.

The sound system is better than average. It has plenty of back seat leg room and storage. It is small enough to navigate in the city, and it has good take off when you need it.

Give the customer three sets of keys and remotes, instead of only two.