Used 2003 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 246 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Pretty nice
By JJ

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I've had a pretty good experience. It's nice and roomy and I love the bumper because I have lightly bumped a few things and no scratches. The ride is smooth and handles nicely. Even though its 4 years old people still tell me it still has that new car smell. Only complaints are the matte finish on the radio is chipping off, the cover of the gas cap sometimes pops open, and my biggest complaint is the CD player. Ever since I first got the car it sometimes makes this horrible noise and pops the CD out, I can usually pop the CD back and play normally though.

Smooth ride, bumper, comfortable

The Family Escape
By stinkins

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Between my mother and I, we've had this Escape since 2003. We both love it. My major problems is that my fuel economy has been tanking since about 40000 miles or so.

6-disc CD changer, sunroof, POWER!

Fuel economy.

I love my Escape!
By Karen

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've only had my 2003 Escape for about three weeks now but I do love it! This is my first SUV and it took a little getting used to but now that I am, I'll never go back to driving a car. The Escape handles great, has great acceleration and looks really sporty. The interior is roomy except I think that the seats are too short. This is the only thing that keeps the comfort level from being perfect. The stereo has great sound and I love having the six disc cd changer in the dash. I miss the outside temp,compass displays and lighted vanity mirrors from my car. Waiting for snow to check out the 4 wheel drive as this will be my first experience with it. Overall, it's a great vehicle.

Good sized compact SUV, handles great, great acceleration.

Make the front seats longer, add outside temp and compass displays and lighted vanity mirrors.

Escape Limited
By charles allison

2003 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The first SUV owned. Loaded with all the extras. The V-6 is outstanding. Cruises at 80 mph effortlessly. 5 1/2 hour trips to the beach in comfort - 25.5 mpg hwy. Great front bucket seats, radio/CD player is excellent, but could use better speakers. Adequate cargo space for dog and luggage. Roof rack is a plus, but rarely used. I don't care what Consumer Reports says - the Escape is the best compact SUV on the market. I will buy a new one with a navigation system as soon as available. Until then, at 90,000+ miles, my Escape continues to march without a hiccup.

Get the extended warrenty
By gg

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Ford Escape until the transmission went out at 56,000 miles. I have heard from others that this is common for Ford vehicles. I thought it had a powertrain warranty and did not purchase the extended warranty. If you decide to buy this SUV, pay the extra money for the extended warranty.

Great interior space, comfortable ride for all passengers.

Better quality for the transmission.