Used 2003 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 245 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Great Safe Vehicle
By Great Safe Vehicle

2003 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Escape new & have loved it from day one. With over 108K miles, it still has a lot of power & handles very well. The vehicle is very roomy, but is not difficult to maneuver like larger SUVs. I was just involved in a serious accident while driving my Escape and I have to commend it from a safety perspective. I was sitting at a red light and was hit from behind by a utility truck traveling at a high rate of speed. I was then pushed into the full sized truck in front of me. Unfortunately the Escape is a total loss, but I "escaped" with only a broken toe and a few bruises. I am very impressed with the overall safety of this vehicle and would certainly recommend it for any family.

Spacious for passengers and cargo, great pick-up, great luxury features of the Limited, still looked new after 5 years

Oil filter location is not ideal for maintenance, oil runs out on motor, etc creating quite a mess.

Stay away from the Escape
By bm on 7-29-08

2003 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new in December of 2002 and everything was fine until April of 2007. The transmission failed and cost approx. $4000 to repair with only 60,000 miles on it. Then in January of 2008 it was having problems again losing power between 35 mph and 50 mph. I took it back to the dealer that fixed it before and they told me it was a mass air flow sensor so I fixed it - although it didn't seem to be running right. Then just a month ago more problems. They told me it was the catylitic converter. So I fixed again. Today I need a new engine. I'm not going to fix anymore. Oh buy the way they only offered $4000 for the trade in as is on a new car. I put $6000 in repairs in 1 year.

Size

Love my Escape!
By Pammyc

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it used and never regretted it. It's roomy and comfy. Has everything I wanted.

Leather, roof, and roomy cargo area.

Light for ignition area. Better gas mileage.

The Honeymoon is Over
By juniper jenny

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the car used with low mileage. I felt very safe driving it and it was a fun car to drive. It had a very loud ride. I paid a lot of money for new tires to make the ride quieter. I've replaced numerous belts on the car and an alternator in 2005 right after my warranty ran out! The car has had 2 recalls in 2 years too. At 63,000 miles the tranny went. I owed $7,000 on the car and a new tranny was $4,000. Ford gave me a great deal on a trade-in and now I'm trying out the Explorer!!

The car is fun to drive

It needs a quieter ride

Pretty nice
By JJ

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I've had a pretty good experience. It's nice and roomy and I love the bumper because I have lightly bumped a few things and no scratches. The ride is smooth and handles nicely. Even though its 4 years old people still tell me it still has that new car smell. Only complaints are the matte finish on the radio is chipping off, the cover of the gas cap sometimes pops open, and my biggest complaint is the CD player. Ever since I first got the car it sometimes makes this horrible noise and pops the CD out, I can usually pop the CD back and play normally though.

Smooth ride, bumper, comfortable