Used 2003 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 246 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Best Car I Ever Owned
By ThePhantom

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I went to buy a replacement Windstar in the fall of '03 and drove home in a red 2WD Escape. My wife and I fell in love with it immediately. Since then we have changed he oil and filter every 2500 miles and replaced filters and belts. The factory tires were horrible and screamed and moaned. I replaced them with Michelins and turned the Escape into a whole new, quiet, smooth-riding vehicle. Other than that the car has not been in the shop. It has required ZERO repairs in 65K miles. None. Zilch. Nada. This is far and away the best, most dependable automobile I have ever owned.

We get 22 MPG on the highway, which is the same as my '63 Volkswagen Beetle. The front seats are comfortable. The car has NO squeaks or rattles. None. The sound system is wonderful. The ride height and visibility are great. The best feature is the utter dependability.

It needed a right side arm rest. The console lid makes a popping noise when you lean on it. Getting in and out takes a little manoeuvering for a sexagenarian driver with arthritis, but this is a very minor complaint. The ride is "sporty" and you feel some road bumps. Pretty minor stuff, no?

Great SUV, fun to drive!
By Mattysmom

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After only driving cars, I wanted something bigger, especially since I have a child now. I researched alot of vehicles and liked the reviews on this one. With 5 star crash test ratings, and its reasonable price, you can't go wrong. I feel safe driving, and it's alot of fun. The only drawbacks are the noisy ride, and the crappy CD player (it ate 2 of my CDs!). Other than that, great little SUV!

Interior room

Better accessories (darn CD player!)

DO NOT BUY
By Laura M

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Although I have enjoyed this vehicle because I have had very little engine problems I am DISGUSTED with the paint problems. A few months ago I noticed blisters in the paint job on hatchback and hood. Now the paint is just peeling off and no coverage. I have heard and read literally hundreds of complaints...yet Ford will not listen. This is a serious problem as my vehicle now looks awful.

PAINT ISSUES NEED TO BE ADDRESSED BY FORD.

Need 4wd on fire runs
By Vol FF

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it bewcause I needed 4wd to get to some of the fires I respond to. I love the way the truck handles at speed. The accelleration allows me to get out of situations before they become a problem. The only complaint is the transmission. It doesn't seem to shift smoothly all the time, especially in the winter. Other than that I will certainly buy another.

Handles like a car but runs like a truck.

Fix the tranny.

Transmission Shot
By JeffP

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was a bank repo that appeared to be well taken care of. My wife drives this and likes the way it handles in snow and bad weather. We have never had this vehicle off road or done any towing and now at 123,000 miles the transmission is slipping when it's cold. Our mechanic say's it's about to go out and replacement with rebuilt tranny is about $3,500. I replaced my Winstar tranny too at about 60,000 miles. See a trend here with Ford transmissions. I do and will think long and hard before buying another.

Wife likes the ride and the car overall.

11" rear wiper blades are carried by nobody! Fuel mileage.