Used 2003 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 246 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Love It
By Mel

2003 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I researched quite a bit before i purchased this car. I got the limited because i didn't like the plastic on the other ones. I think the SUV had one owner previously. I live in Germany now and my SUV is small enough to fit in most compact spaces but it still has a lot of interior room. And my SUV goes through the snow and mud of these county roads like no other. I have had a few issues the 6 Disc CD changer gave out a week after i got it. It is a little noisy driving but yo get that with most SUVs. And it almost hesitates when i am driving around 45. The mechanics tell me that some vehicles just do it. Slightly annoying. However, i have been having issues with my sun roof hestitating to open.

Heated Seats and 4 WD

I second the change out of the CD player. And make a storage area for the headress when you put the seat down.

I love my Escape
By pammymc

2003 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new. I have had no real issues with it other than brake wear (my driving habbits-not the cars fault. Had to get new rotors twice.) & the starter went out @ 35K. The interior has taken a beating from my kids but a little Folex & it looks like new again. The radio is ok. I love my 6 disc CD changer. It doesn't have Aux plugs so no I-pod in the car. The thing is driving habbits determine alot how your car is going to perform. Flippling from reverse to drive while still moving will screw the transmission on any car. Some driver's migt want to examine their habits before the scrap the car. Overall I'd buy another one if my credit wasn't messed up with this economy!

Sun roof (a must have in CA), 4wd, tinted windows

Anything that I thought it lacked has been improved on newer models.

problem ford
By jennifer amerson

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car fixed 5 times. It still will not start. I keep a journal and I have to crank it up to 12 times to get it to start in the middle of the month every month, and 6 times every time on the first week of each month. I think this is an electrical problem. I have had the idle valve replaced and it still will not start. Also has had 3 recalls done on it and I just had the power steering hose replaced on it last week. I do not know what to do just keep begging Ford to fix it so that I will not be late for work anymore. Cranking problem started 2 years ago and I have been told that this car can not be fixed. It only has 30,000 miles on it.

I like the car and want it fixed.

Ford needs to fix my car. I would like to continue driving it because it is paid for.

Nothing but trouble with this car
By Never again

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I acquired this vehicle with the idea of great quality. Big Mistake! 1 week after purchasing it, the engine light came on, the fuel door open light came on, the battery light came on, etc... Took it into dealership where I was told that the lights were on from a short in the wiring. 1 week later while slowing down to make a turn during rush hour traffic, the car completely shuts off. This happened about 15 times with the dealership telling me they could find anything wrong with it. Come to find out there was a recall. The trans. started slipping not more than 3 months after that. Brand new rear tire was bald in less than 3 months from rubbing. Smelled burning oil always. radio buttons broke

Gas mileage is pretty awesome.

Not sure if the workers were just asleep during the making of MY car, but the quality, durability, and comfort needs a lot of improvement.

My honeymoon with Ford is over!
By Zack

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a dealership with about 40,000 miles. I drive less than 10,000 miles a year but the repair costs on this car have ended my honeymoon with Ford -I cant wait to pay it off and never, ever tough a Ford! I had a Mazda before and then decided to try American but this was a big mistake. Unless Ford works on its quality, they will definitely collapse. I just got a Honda for my wife! –The catalyst convertor, peeling paint, the engine light never halts!

None