Used 2003 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

116,000 miles later
By Dave

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The driving experience is excellent, the handling, cornering, acceleration and braking are all above average or better. I was aware of several specific shortcomings of the vehicle, and all were solved by add-ons at purchase. For example: Several ford models are known to have transmissions issues at 100,000 miles+. This is solved by purchasing the TOWING package that adds a transmission cooling system & radiator to prevent trans damage. My transmission has never so much as slipped. The soft paint & rust issue is partly solved by a rubberized undercoating and wheel well sheathing. Overall the car is wonderful and would buy it again.

Handling, reliability, towing capacity. Rear seats individually recline, the Escape can be driven through snow banks up to it's headlights, which i have been required to do several times (emergency response vehicle).

Paint durability and rust resistance are my biggest problems with the car. Road noise. The tires are WELL known to be the source of road noise in this model, not just 2003. The wheel wells should be better insulated against this. Such an easy fix and Ford did not try it? Why not?

Love this car,
By Pnoble

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love driving this car, have gotten excellent gas mileage (from 22-28 mpg usually the higher end when traveling), no work other than oil changes, regular break work from in city traffic. It takes the mountains like a dream, comfortable for 3 traveling long distance and for all the luggage w/ the storage area in back. Great for moving items due to the back seats lowering. Loved it so much bought another one in 2008 and still have them both. Would buy a third if either of these ever give out.

the comfort, the storage, back seats being able to be folded, gas mileage, and the center console storage

Would like to see storage area for headrest when folding seats down which has not changed, and a little more leg room on passenger side for longer legged people like me, 6 ft

Great drive especially in the snow
By Melissa

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving this car. It drives especially well in the snow and the awd makes it so you don't even have to engage 4wd most of the time. I live in the mountains and it is a great car. I love the room in the back of the car where adults can easily sit. I also love the cargo space in the back. The seats lay down flat if you need more cargo space.

Has a lot of power. Great in the snow!

gas mileage has gone down over time and I do not know what to do to improve it. No one seems to have any ideas. Doesn't get good mileage on mountain roads but still does pretty well if just driving on the freeway.

Love It
By Mel

2003 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I researched quite a bit before i purchased this car. I got the limited because i didn't like the plastic on the other ones. I think the SUV had one owner previously. I live in Germany now and my SUV is small enough to fit in most compact spaces but it still has a lot of interior room. And my SUV goes through the snow and mud of these county roads like no other. I have had a few issues the 6 Disc CD changer gave out a week after i got it. It is a little noisy driving but yo get that with most SUVs. And it almost hesitates when i am driving around 45. The mechanics tell me that some vehicles just do it. Slightly annoying. However, i have been having issues with my sun roof hestitating to open.

Heated Seats and 4 WD

I second the change out of the CD player. And make a storage area for the headress when you put the seat down.

I love my Escape
By pammymc

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new. I have had no real issues with it other than brake wear (my driving habbits-not the cars fault. Had to get new rotors twice.) & the starter went out @ 35K. The interior has taken a beating from my kids but a little Folex & it looks like new again. The radio is ok. I love my 6 disc CD changer. It doesn't have Aux plugs so no I-pod in the car. The thing is driving habbits determine alot how your car is going to perform. Flippling from reverse to drive while still moving will screw the transmission on any car. Some driver's migt want to examine their habits before the scrap the car. Overall I'd buy another one if my credit wasn't messed up with this economy!

Sun roof (a must have in CA), 4wd, tinted windows

Anything that I thought it lacked has been improved on newer models.