Used 2002 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Great vehicle
By subarktika

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The first thing that impressed us with the Escape was the interior space. Driver and front passenger have lots of leg and head room. Like the way the rear seat cushions can be removed and also like the height of the cargo area. Ours has the No Boundaries Roof Rack which has been great for hauling bikes.

Cargo area.

Exterior temperature display.

Ford Escape 2002
By Emster

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good car for the most part, I think there are some design flaws that make this vehicle a "high maintenance" vehicle once the warranty is up. I had trouble with the wiring and windshield cracks. Overall, it got me where I needed to be with little trouble. It has a smooth ride and fits 5 comfortably.

Smooth ride, comfortable, good gas mileage on trips!

Transmissions have gone out on most of the 2001-2002 models. Ford needs to honor their product and recall them for the consumers sake.

Nearly 130,000 miles with no problems
By shihchi

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have 128,000 miles in 4+ years. No problems. Never back to dealer for any repairs or problems. Avg. 21-24 mpg. Still solid. Spent 4 years on construction sites with no ill effects. Used as primary family vehicle. Daughter hit a deer on spring break with it; vehicle was A-OK, but deer wasn't. Still handles well and is quick. No complaints about CDs sticking or gear shift lever blocking access to anything. Large number cubbyholes are useful. Compared it to RAV4, CR-V and VUE. Escape was by far the best value and fun/comfortable drive. Wife, daughter and son all like it.

Dependable, well-built, MPG, utility, sit up high, small and maneuverable.

Nothing of consequence.

2002 Ford Escape - Lousy Transmission
By debbylee

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 1991 Ford Explorer, my first Ford. Loved it! So next time I got a 2002 Ford Escape. I have had nothing but problems. Transmission problems from day 1. Air intake chip going bad twice. I sure love the design and wish it had worked out. Still driving it.

Exterior design, leather seats, sun roof, interior design, size of cargo, lots of legroom in the back seat.

Fix the transmission!

Rate this Vehicle
By martina

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I travel 50 plus miles a day in my Ford Escape. I find that it handles very well in very wet roads and in the winter I feel very secure in the manner in which it "hugs" the road, especially on curves. My V6 engine has great pick-up speed and right now I am averaging 28mpg. Since I am the main driver of this vehicle I have had very few opportunities to be a passenger, but I do remember driving to North Dakota from Iowa. I had the back seat. I found that being a passenger in the back seat was not the most joyful experience. There wasn't enough room for ones "tush." I had the feeling that I was always sliding down. I would definitely buy another ford Escape.

Great stereo system, the adjustable side mirrors, maneuverability, size and style.

More cushion/padding on the rear seats. A reading light that will pull out and adjust "from the door." Plug ins in the back. Instead of cup holders and that slot in the middle make half of that a cooler the same length of a can or plastic bottle and deep instead of wider, like 3 cans deep, 2 cans wide.