Used 2002 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

02 Ford Escape 4 cyl/standard
By smokey2

2002 Ford Escape XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle about a year ago as my first car after much thought, and I must say I made the right choice. I chose it for gas mileage and looks, and was able to get a great deal off craigslist. The required maintenence was pricy ($1000 for a new timing belt), but expected. The vehicle is spacious inside, while being able to fit in almost any parking spot and turning around in places other cars can't. The standard transmission is the way to go given the 4 cyl's engine power.

Gas mileage. I calculate the mileage after every fillup, and my last two calculations were 27 and 28 mpg. It does, though, vary greatly on driving habits. Also, This vehicle is very roomy and open inside for being relatively small.

The road noise is terrible at highway speeds, and the engine runs at around 3000 rpm at 65 mph.

Love my Escape
By LJ

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had very few problems with my Escape other than the recall issues. It's in the shop now for a new alternator but that after six years and 219,000 miles of driving. Thumbs up!

To pull a Dodge out the ditch!
By nizzlejr

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

All I have to say is wow! Ford hit it pretty good with a cheap 4x4 to get around in the winters and summer in Canada. I have to say that the only real problems I've had is changing a motor under warranty. Other then that my Escape has treated me well. Off road in this and you'll be very surprised. I've had the chance to go with Jeeps and such with no problems geting through the muck. Ford has put metal parts on this "truck" where you would see plastic, ie; end links. Very strong SUV. Fuel economy is something to get used to but then what would you expect to get in a near 4000 pound vehicle? Tows great. Transmission is good. I plan to enjoy this "truck" for another few years yet.

4x4, sunroof, white gauges, and the fact you can recline the rear seats back-fold the front seats completly level. Stiff ride is nice too.

A 4-lo and locking or posi final drive and rear differential

Average
By Carol

2002 Ford Escape XLS Value 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Escape new. I've had it 7 1/2 years & 75,000 miles+. The acceleration isn't too great. Handles well in snow and bad conditions. The last year or so, it's needed a lot of repairs. The struts have been changed and it still has suspension issues (rattles). Recently both the clutch and the clutch master cylinder went out at the same time. A very costly repair (At 72, 000 miles). Two teenagers did learn to drive on it. But I expected it to go longer before needing costly repairs. It has been reliable getting me where I need to go. Doesn't like steep hills too much. And CIncinnati has those. I don't think I'd buy another one though. Too many repairs needed too soon.

Gas mileage around 20-24 mpg. It sits high up and visibility is good. Also has lots of cupholders. Radio that came standard is of good quality

More power to get up hills needed.

No more Fords for me
By kathy

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving my Escape. I am short and can see out of it better than anything I've driven before. The electrical problems are driving me crazy. After many visits to the dealer, they finally found that caulk had come loose and I had a gallon of water on my fuse box. Supposedly resealed and replaced the fuse box. Two months later I had it back in for the same problems, radio going off and on by itself, even when car is off, horn going off, trouble lights on for no reason. Said they can't find any problems and gave it back to me unfixed. Have contacted Ford and they won't do anything to help, so am buying a Honda on Monday. I'm sorry to say that Ford has lost another customer.

Good in the winter and fun to drive. Great visibility.

Caulk should not come loose for no reason, and if it does, mechanics and body shop should be able to detect and fix, or Ford should stand behind it.