Used 2002 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

One of my best!
By wado

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive a lot and have had many cars, trucks, SUVs but my 2002 Ford Escape was by far one of the best vehicles, that I have ever owned! The "ease", of entry/exit, is awesome, for me, and the performance vs mpg is a "perfect combination" I have owned over a hundred vehicles, mostly used, but 37 new, mostly Ford,GM, and this one stands out! Bravo to Ford for such a nice ride, just wish that they had left the spare INSIDE, where it belongs, and continued offering the column shift, for those of us, that are cramped by consoles. The redesigned 2008 and up are much more refined however!! Definitely worth a look!

Ease of entry/exit acceleration/braking/clearance in snow (great even w/o 4wd!) Standard sound system was great!

I did not care for the "look" of the gray unpainted front and rear bumper covers.

A Real Trooper With Love
By Jenny

2002 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had it since 2002. Yes, I've had some major repairs. The engine went at 96K miles, so it cost us $7k to fix that. It cost me $4k to fix all 3 converters, and yes I had to pay to fix 3 of six coils. They said driving of fast accelerating and sudden stops could contributed to it, and we also drove it in England for 3 years, so that didn't help either. But it's always been there for us through the worse of times. Blizzards are no problem for me. I have better traction than most newer SUV's and trucks, including your MB's and Lexus. It does make squeaky sounds in the interior, but it's older. Not much you can do. With all the accidents, it's always gotten lesser damage and held up the most!

This vehicle saved my life! One bad rainy night on 295 headed South, I was in the 3rd from right lane, and the Charger was in 4th. Went to cut me off, but not clear of me AT ALL yet. Instead of getting rear ended I chose to move a lane over. I ended up hitting a jeep at an angle, and spun 360 across

Continued favorite: 295 onto a grassy hill. I saw all the headlights in front of me while still spinning. The Escape should have flipped, but it stood strong with me just pressing the brake hard. Only damage we got besides the jeep's grill was my back passenger door. That's It! No suggested redone

Great Vehicle
By JC

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is really great SUV. My mom has 2002 Ford Escape that already has over 273,000 miles. Her friend drove a lot for work and vacation. Then she brought it from her friend because they got new car. We take a good care of this vehicle and thanks god its working very good. We rode/drove it A LOT. Ford Escape goes very well on winter, I remember we made it on the hill with 2WD which is awesome. This SUV is better gas than Jeep and Chevy blazer. Her vehicle is a little bit bad shape now but as long its run like reliable and we're keeping until the car break down but this SUV never die.

Everything are perfect but not enough seats for more than five people though. That's OK.

That all I want this vehicle have bigger gas tank. Its only has 16 gallon gas tank.

Lost a customer
By Annette S.

2002 Ford Escape XLS Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After purchasing my truck I had costly repairs the very first year. Over the next 3yrs the truck had been great until last friday Nov 13th, when my truck had an electrical fire! Please be careful Escape owners, the truck was off and I was not inside when it caught fire. Never again will I own another Ford vehicle due to Ford not taking onwership of the problems with their vehicles.

Nice size and sits high.

Ford needs better quality parts especially electrical.

60k miles and a repair nightmare
By NoMoreFords

2002 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new and it ran great, then things started to happen. 10K - Lose molding on the roof. Rear wiper does not touch the window. 40K - 6-disc player stopped working. 50k - 3 coils out of 6 had to be replaced. Windows started squeaking when opening and closing. 65k - Replaced oil pan gasket due to leak, and then two month later the oil pan due to stripped plug. 70k Replaced all three catalytic converters (they were plugged up). 70k - Replaced leaky water pump. Replaced cracked alternator. I give up...

Handles well. Drives great in the snow and a lot of room to pack things into. Made many trip to/from building supply stores with a full load.

Rethink the design. Very load wind noise when driving on the highway