Used 2002 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Pretty Good Car until 130K!
By dragonfly58

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Escape used w/80K miles on it.
Three years later w/150K I'm now having BIG problems.
Before it hit 130K the car was great! No problems, fun to drive, but now having big problems with E-Vap codes, check engine light always on, fuel hoses replaced, plugs/wires/coils burnt out, back seat release broke, falling apart all at once, cruise control won't work, CD player died, interior falling apart.
Mileage horrible, no where near projected, getting 17-19mpg at best.
Drivers seat wearing out, no cush left, but lumbar adjust ok.
Have always had problems w/cargo door staying locked for days on end, the pits when groceries loaded & you gotta unload over back of seat.

Fun to drive, plenty of room, I feel secure in vehicle, good crash test record.

Put a key-lock in cargo door!! Escapes have bad track record for cargo door actuator lock burning out, always seems like it stays locked after stuff is loaded into back.

Hard Pressed to Find One Better
By JSampson

2002 Ford Escape XLS Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

4 cyl 5 spd model @ 80k now: Bought used with 38k on it. I'm very meticulous about car issues and I have noticed only a couple things that have needed attention over the years. In my mind these issues are less about Ford and more about components manufactured in Asia (I'd bet). 1. Idle Air Control Valve needs some cleaning/replacement after 75k miles or so and is a total pain to get to. 2. DPEF sensor craps out about the same time. Neither one ever left me stranded or were $$$ but did create an erratic idle at times. Outside of that, absolutely nothing has gone wrong. Engine has adequate power and has returned 25 mpg avg, consistently. Handling and braking even w/o all discs is good.

Engine performance hands down. For a little 135hp engine it has great low end grunt and wonderful top end when I want to move more spiritedly. Handling always amazed me and turning radius is outstanding. Paint/body solid. Glad I got the 4cy/5spd combo. Durability to the max.

Transmission has always been slightly irritating with some poor synchro's in 2nd and 3rd and it has a touchy clutch when cold. (I blame this on the japanese spec trans) Seats could be better and wind noise reduced, though not bad.

fordmamma
By smoochypoochy

2002 Ford Escape XLS Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Escape new in sept of 02. previously owned a 95 escort wagon (5 speed) with over 200,000 miles on it. just wanted a 4x4 for my commute in the snow. Wow! great little car in snow. handles well. Too bad it now has over 250,000 miles on it. looking for another manual Ford transmission. They seem to never give up. 4 cylinder engines lacks power, but didn't buy it for that. Only had oil changes and fluid changes. Totally recommend Fords. Just test drove a '97 toyota Avalon, not impressed. STICK WITH AMERICAN

over 250,00 miles, a/c still runs strong. mp3 radio is awesome and getting rid of it because i need to buy tires and get it inspected, too lazy! Great car.

Paint is rusting on fenders. Seems to be a Ford problem. But if that's the worst thing.

2002 limited 3.0 ford escape
By kia

2002 Ford Escape XLT Premium 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it had 114k mi. Black on Black. I had it for a year. the car was absolutely awesome. It had great pickup,good break system and great handling. I never took the car to mechanic for any reason. The only reason that I sold it was ,because I was trying to upgrade it but now I regret it. I changed 2 cars after that but I'm still not happy with what I have. I recommend this car 100%. If you can get the limited, because than the car would have all the options you would need, and there isn't so much difference in the price. the only good upgrade from this car is nissan murano or BMW X3, don't waist you time with other SUVs

Very nice ride, doesn't feel like any other ford SUV. handling

headlights, make it little more stylish

This Little SUV is a Bull
By Paul D.

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First of all I bought this Ford new. I have 50,000 miles on it. The repairs I've made, other than routine maintenance, are. Fuel pump and a tie rod end and that's it ( knock on wood). Power from this 200hp V-6 is more than ample and it's good to know you have that extra power when needed. The ride is a bit stiff but that is to be expected from an SUV. The seats are very comfortable so that makes the stiff ride more bearable. Very roomy. Highway road noise is above average. If your looking to improve on that a good set of passenger tire would help. A/T tires are not the way to go unless your looking for more traction. Fuel-ok at 20 mpg combined city/hwy for a V-6. Nice SUV.

3.0 V-6 Power,comfortable seating, ample room for cargo when the back seats are down,great snow traction even with a 4X2,looks good,

Softer ride, courtesy lights should be within drivers reach not over head,a bit noisy on the hwy.