Used 2001 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 165 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Excellent choice
By Deanna Barker

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the Ford Escape in October 2001. Had been a loyal GM buyer for years. Will be trading my 2001 Escape for a 2008 in the spring. Would not think of buying anything else. Vehicle has over 80,000 miles on it and has only been in the shop once for repairs and a couple times for recalls. The most dependable vehicle I have ever owned.

More storage space like possibly drawers under the front seats, etc. Lower front headrests/seats for short people like me.

Reliable/versatile/exceeds expectations
By Ray in Northern VA

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this a month after buying a BMW 330i, thinking I’d drive the Ford in the winter and on the beach near my parents’ home in MD. A year later, my wife dumper her unreliable VW and absconded with my Escape. She loves it. The reliability difference between the BMW and Ford is stark. The Ford, with 115k miles has required only one repair. We recently replaced the stabilizer bar links (2 at $12/each + $40 for labor). All other maintenance has been routine or wear- related (oil changes, fluid flushes, brakes, etc). We love the reliability. It handles extremely well in snow, and light off- road conditions. Most maintenance is relatively inexpensive.

Reliability, handling, and value. I believe this to be the best SUV for the price. The only SUV that I enjoy driving more is the Range Rover (the Toyota Highlander is a close second). We replaced the OEM tires with Goodyear Fortera Silent Armors; the car handles far better and drives quietly.

Interior finish is cheap and unattractive. Gas mileage is mediocre for such a light truck (we see about 17 city/23 highway, we got slightly better before the 10% alcohol mixes were mandated here). The Escape is not capable of handling challenging off-roading (reserved for Jeeps and Land Rovers).

Good Little SUV
By olcrank

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Always impressed with handling, acceleration,and visibility. Drove on road and off road for five years never had a problem. Of course seldom "beat" the little bugger, and maintained as prescribed. Not as tough as a Jeep,and a little shy in the ground clearance dept. but all around a great little SUV.

Driveability, MPG, visibility, size, ergonomic convenience.

OEM tires pick up stones and are somewhat noisy.

Escape Now In Panama
By Ric

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Escape Rocks! I purchased it new the first year it came out. My reason purchasing the Escape was for the ease of placing my windsurfing boards and equipment on top. I have taken this SUV on many of windsurfing trips with a lot of gear inside and on the top. I have had only slight issues with the Escape. Clutch master went out on a road trip to New Orleans. Went to the auto parts store and fixed it myself. Steel trending came off of the rear tire and broke of some of the trim. Problem was the tire not the Escape. I have now retired to Panama and have taken my Escape with me. We have great roads down here but the gas is a little high down here, the highway mileage is great

Dependable with a 100500 miles. Holds up well in saltwater environments. Drives like a car, not a truck. Lots of rear storage room. Gets good gas mileage for an SUV. Good sound system. Very good A/C system. Wide body which is very stable for mountain and hill driving. Very powerful engine.

Just make the plastic trim a little stronger. Real world roof racks would be nice.

Not too shabby
By Jeff

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall pretty happy with our V6 XLT 4x4 at 83,350 now. Handled tough Colorado 4x4 trails well even without low range (as well as slippery roads). Only a few problems: idle air control valve and blower motor died. ~22 mpg HWY, ~18 city.

Good looks, 4x4 option if I need it, good size vs mpg fit

Plastic exterior trim is textured and tough to get wax out of, little less driver lumbar support (even at minimum setting), perforated leather for better breathability in summer