Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

No Way in Snow States
By Charles

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In cold weather I was getting down to 19-21 in city driving, 26 on highway. Never got over 24 in city, and I drove this by the textbook. Took off slowly, to stay in electric mode, people honked a lot at me on slow take off from lights. I chose fwd to save fuel, slipped all the time in the least amount of snow, got stuck twice in snow when other fwd cars drove by me. Then I read it has no traction control! The heavy battery in back throws off the weight balance advantage of fwd. Very frustrating experience! You in cold weather states need to beware! I traded to escape 4 cyl fwd, and similar mileage in cold temps and no slippage in snow, maybe ok in warm states. Not worth the extra $ for hybrid.

Great seats, good use of space, I like the recycled seat fabric.Nice size for city driving.I wanted car from US company,even with annoying things listed below,not that much worse than competition to cause me not to stay with the model for the good things,I do not know yet about long term reliability

Worst steering wheel in auto show, feels like sandpaper, mold lines sharp and little nubs always felt when turning wheel. Center stack too busy, too many buttons. That silver trim bad with the brown interiors. Tough to find one with the black interior. Rattles in dash and console.

Great SUV - Fun to drive
By Giri Murthy

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It took me long time to hunt down an Escape Hybrid but it was worth the wait. Got the color and the options I was looking for. I live in south florida and it is giving me around 34- 35 mpg. I mostly drive in the city and not much highwaqy. The audio system and the navigation system is awesome. I liked the exterior of Mercury Mariner but that is even harder to get than the Escape.

Stereo system, seat comfort, dual climate control, backup assist, income tax incentive and the most silent drive

Better high quality interior parts.

Absolutely love it!
By Vince

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Seemed hard to get a Escape Hybrid, but it was well worth the wait after ordering it. Absolutely love driving it and watch the MPG display show 33+ MPG. Love the body style and the interior is very well designed. I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

Great gas mileage. Comfort. Quiet ride.

Wish the interior roof on the premium package (stone) was a little darker to avoid showing stains.

I Love it!
By Loved It

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car, kinda unexpected. I was walking around the cars while having my 06 Focus worked on. And I ran across the car. I test drove it.. and have been in love since! We have the leather interior.. I have never had that in any car.. and love it. The car rides perfectly! I am avg about 34mpg in the city.. and Don't do a lot of hwy driving, but when I went one state up, it was roughly 26mpg. Hybrid's aren't made for hwy driving! I don't have a lot of the extras, But I love it just the way it is! I was always a Mustang person, But now I will never not own a Escape!

I love the interior. The ride is awesome. The stereo is surprisingly amazing for factory! And I love the MPG avg I get!

I would add lights for the steering wheel on the cruise controls. And make a rubber mat thing for the back cargo area, Like the Santa Fe has.

Happy
By Trekker9044

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this vehicle a few weeks and so far I am very happy with what I got for the money spent. The items that are noted as cons in the Edmunds review do hold true, but are not that big of deal in looking at the vehicle overall. I think the Escape handles well for an SUV and I enjoy driving it. The interior is nice and the cab is fairly quiet except when the engine is excellerating. I have only filled the tank on this vehicle 3 times so far. The first time I got 26mpg and the last two times I got 30mpg. This is a combo of freeway and city driving. I even drove it up the steep hills of San Francisco with three adults in it and still got 30mpg with good power.

Handles well for a Ford SUV. Have driven other Ford SUV's that do not handle well at all. This one does. Stock sound system is decent, but if you are used to an aftermarket system, you'll want to upgrade. I like the clean lines in the interior and the cab seems pretty quiet.

Decrease engine noise when excellerating, add daytime running lights, radio controls do not stay illuminated with lights off when in accessory key position. This vehicle is great for the price. The Highlander may have more features and may be a bit nicer, but for the money the Escape can't be beat.