Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Fifteen Months and Still Lovin' it
By lvass

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Escape Hybrid AWD in March 2007, shortly after they came out. I have averaged 31 MPG with this vehicle, driving 80% city, 20% highway. I couldn't be happier with this SUV. I am impressed by the improvements in ride and road noise (I own a 2001 Escape as well). The fit and finish have been great and it just right for both my 4' 11" wife and my 6'2" self. I live in Colorado, it has done very well in the mountains and the power of the 133 HP 4 cylinder backed up by the electric motor is equivalent to the V6 gas Escape I have. I think this vehicle is well worth looking at if you are considering a hybrid SUV and you have a small family (2 kids) like my self. Ford has done a nice job.

Excellent gas mileage for an AWD vehicle. Significantly improved insulation form earlier models. Great in the snow.

Tow package and DVD entertainment system for the hybrid would be nice. More colors would be nice, too.

Automotive Breakthrough
By Joseph

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2008 last summer, and have no regrets. We've had the orange wrench light come on a few times though. Although there were no observable problems, they had to replace cooling fans, motors, etc. I suspect the system detects potential problems quickly. I get around 37MPG in winter, and 33MPG in summer (with AC running most of the time (Tucson, AZ)). There's a squeak sound coming from a motor somewhere. It sounds like a clutch engaging/disengaging. They repaired it once by replacing the AC motor, but it has returned. I'm due for my 20k soon, so I'll have them check it at that time.

Definitely the CVT. This performs wonderfully when driving though hilly/mountainous. The mileage is great!

Passenger side "handle" above the door; full size spare; trailer hitch (for my bike rack).

Great Ford SUV
By Tom

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Leather Interior needs to be more comfortable, but overall this is a great vehicle and will buy another one. Very reliable and gas mileage is great even with my lead foot. Finally the US automakers have something to be really proud of. Over 21,000 miles of hard driving and no problems! Highly recommended!

Performance & handling, love the NAV system.

More comfortable interior. Even the leather is rather hard.

Just a Great 4 X4 Vehicle
By Mike

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I ordered the Escape with all options and it arrived in 3 weeks. The quality is excellent. If only it had stearing wheel controls for the radio and navigation system. It is somewhat distracting to take your eyes off the road to change radio stations, or enter a new destination on the nav system. Other than that the Escape is a great vehicle. Leather seats are comfortable, and the interior is very well dressed up. Rear seats fold nicely flat. Plenty of room for 4 people and luggage for a week in the rear. Tires are quite and smooth, but the continental tires are not good in the winter. Goodyear tires would be a much better choice.

The navigation system is large and full of information. Not a small 4.3" like the aftermarket units. But the gas mileage is my favorite. Even with the four wheel drive version I am often averaging in excess of 30 miles per gallon which is more than the vehicle is rated at.

Steering wheel controls for the radio are desperately needed, along with 8 way memory adjustable drivers seat. Just to hard to fine tune that seat after someone else drives the vehicle. A bit more sound insulation would help.

Hybrid vs. Quality
By jeb

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was determined to buy a hybrid and I guess I was lucky to get one but I had to pay a premium for it. I am not sure it was worth it - I think you give up quality in other areas. I will have to say that the quality is no where near as nice as the Expedition I had prior. Some of the interior and exterior portions of the car are cheap plastic and scratch very easy. have a fully loaded model except for the navigation system. I am getting about 25 miles to the gallon but if you like to stay cool during the summer months forget driving in electric mode - the one thing they don't tell you is you won't go electic with the AC on even in econ mode!

The car comes with a backing up indicator that is great - if you use it you should never back up into anything again! And the split fold down seats are a must in this car!

1) Re-design the way to fold down the back seats, way too many steps to be efficient. 2) add hanger for cloths - there is only one at the back left side which blocks your vision. It should be on the dirver side. 3) the seat belt scratches the walls of the interior and is really hard to get out.