Used 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Ford Quality & Gas Mileage Too
By BPjunkies

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought this car new as it was unloaded from the truck. My wife loves everything about it and wants to trade it in on a new one since they changed the body style. At first we used to just go for drives to see how high we could get the MPG value on the screen. We have seen high 50s for short drives but average in the upper 20s. It provides everything my wife wanted; She sits up high, it is extremely reliable, it gets great gas mileage, and she likes driving it.

If you get the Backup Sensors you will never want another car without them. The MPG Monitor is fun to watch and makes ownership more enjoyable when you see 30s and 40s on the display. Driving a low speeds in stealth mode - all electric.

1. Automatic Heated Seats turn on and off even though we are still wanting more heat. 2. Navigation System is almost worthless. We put our Garmin on the dash. 3. AC turns off when you come to a stop and car gets hot fast in warm weather. 4. Stereo sounds cheap. Rear passengers flooded with bass.

Best of the Best
By Jim Roberts

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am a true car person. I have owned way to many new cars over the years and this is truly the best. The first thing to do for gas mileage is to change the air filter to the K&N. Use Mobil 1 oil and my mileage has ran as high as 41MPG when trying. I get a constant 30MPG when my wife drives and that is great. She just drives and does not worry about mileage. She has never gotten any better than 17MPG with any other car that she has had both large and small cars of many makes and models. Thank you Ford for taking a large step for fuel. The others have a lot of catching up to do. Ford rules

Fuel mileage, fun to drive, great styling and a good ride. It's a real head turner. You must also remember that this is not a top of the line luxury car. You are trying to get fuel mileage so forget about all the bells and whistles.

For even better fuel mileage that rated change the air filter to the K&N reusable filter. I also us 0-20 Mobil 1.

Love it!
By Pirate

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I now have over 15,000 miles on our Ford Escape Hybrid (4WD). The average gas mileage is 29.3 MPG which is within the EPA estimate for this SUV. My wife and I love the SUV. I did all the research at the time comparing the Escape with all the other SUV on the market in its class and am more than happy that we purchased the Escape Hybrid. The SUV has been great so far the only exception is I wish the door gaskets would be heavy duty as they can be damaged fairly easily just through normal usage. Both front doors show wear on their door gaskets. The driver's side was replaced several months ago. Other than that it's a great SUV. Actually it's fun to drive. Great SUV. Thanks Ford. Just love it!

The Escape Hybrid is very reliable, fun to drive & well thought out in its design. Recommend a back up alarm (audible) & a camera (visual) this is money well spent, especially on us older folks (senior citizens). This SUV has been a joy to own and drive My wife and I both love to drive it.

The door gaskets can be damaged very easily, just through normal use. They are poorly fabricated, this had to be a cost savings measure on the part of Ford. Expect to relpace a door gasket every few years. Replaced the driver's side once and am careful getting in & out but still shows wear.

Don't believe the fuel estimate!
By Mark

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2007 Hybrid FWD is rated at 36mpg in the city. Don't believe it! Almost all my driving is in the city. I get only 23-24mpg. Even turning the A/C off adds only 1mpg. The Ford dealer said it needed to be driven for 2,000-3,000 miles to be broken in before the mileage would improve. After 5,000 the mileage is still the same. I know you never get the rated mpg, but 30%+ less is fraud!

Rear window opens.

More interior holders, including cell phone and trash container.

Ford beats Toyota on this one!
By rwolf01

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned Toyotas for 20 years and love my Prius, but Toyota blew it with the Highlander Hybrid. It's too big and the mileage just isn't good enough. In college I swore I'd never own another American car, but the Escape Hybrid turned me around. It's brilliant. With the 4WD it goes anywhere I want including rough dirt roads and deep snow.... and it gets 50% better mileage than my old 4- runner. I've tried to break it. I took it fast and fully loaded up a steep mountain highway to see if I could run the battery down.... no way. It just works. I get an honest 28-30 MPG average with the 4WD. Avoid the factory Nav system. Buy a Garmin instead.

The price! The sealed battery pack. I can throw scuba gear dripping salt water in the back, and not worry about trashing the battery. Leather seats are nice and have held up well. (The cloth seats looked cheap to me)

Rethink interior details. Little things like adding a sunglass holder make a big difference. A bigger gas tank would be nice. (The mileage goes down on dirt roads. That's not the car's fault, but you gotta plan for it.) Fire Kermit. It's not just for tree huggers... it's a very practical car.