Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Escape Hybrid
By Marcus

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Everything is awesome except that the cruise control is overpowered at times and actually reduced fuel efficiency. A good addition would be to have a cruise control that operates based on rpm's instead.

Shutting off at a stop once the catalytic converter is warm.

The cruise control.

Disappointment to acceptance
By Tony D'Onofrio

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned by Ford Escape Hybrid since Oct of 2004 - the first ever sold by my dealership. Gas mileage was VERY disappointing in my first year: Average 21 mpg city but 28 mpg highway. Live in a hilly town & every hill, the gas has to kick in; plus almost every pothole caused my foot to slip & kick-in the gas motor, etc. Also, colder weather requires MUCH longer "warm-up" time (5 to 10 minutes more) in the morning before the electric motor will ever kick in. Have learned tricks to up mileage, i.e, run AC or heat on minimum to avoid using gas (defroster always requires gas) ,coasting down hills, etc. Still only getting 24 mpg city & 29 highway. Better than my last car but not nearly what was promised.

Stereo/CD system. Best of any car I've owned.

Offer a driving course possibly online to aid drivers in getting best mileage out of cars instead of "Help Line" telling you to "Go Away!" when you question low mileage figures.

Bad fuel economy
By wayne

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Ford Escape gets poor gas mileage for a hybrid. We're now down to 25 mpg. Our Ford dealership won't help. Ford Motor Company's help line did not work. I guess Ford is going to lose more market share.

I like the styling.

Help your customers. Make my car get better gas mileage.

I love my Escape Hybrid
By Bill

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When gas prices began to climb I started looking for better fuel economy. A friend suggested looking at hybrids. The local Ford dealer had one in stock. I test drove it and fell in love. The gas mileage I get is in line with the EPA estimate. The interior is well designed and very comfortable. I just wish it had the navigation system. I haven't had one problem with it. When/if this one wears out I'll get another.

The 110 volt outlet and two 12V outlets. The rear seats fold flat easily for extra cargo room. The stereo is top notch.

The LCD screens in the instrument panel need to be brighter or have greater contrast. They tend to be hard to read on bright days.

Hybrid adventure
By Alex

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my Ford Escape Hybrid in December 2005 - including luxury package (because I wanted the sunroof). Excellent comfort for me (6"5" - 240lb) and fun to drive - I regularly get 33 mpg around town. Less mpg (28 - 29) on highway, especially when pulling my small boat when it can be as low as 24. However, to get good mileage around town you have to drive carefully - no gunning away from lights etc.

MPG indicator. 120 volt outlet. Driving comfort.

Thermometer to display outside temperature.