Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Excellent 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
By Jim

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been achieving 90% mpg that the EPA rates for the Escape Hybrid in city driving. The area I live in has many hills and has a variance of speed limits from 20mph to 45mph. I believe that I would achieve or better the EPA rating if there were less hills and speed limits of 30mph or lower. I also drove 1500 miles on a trip and average around 29-30 mpg and that included mountain driving in Tennessee and North Carolina. So far I am really pleased with the Ford Escape Hybrid.

Electric motor, driving ease, comfortable seating, a lot of storage.

Heated outside mirrors standard. Design vehicle for running boards (due to undercarriage design, cannot install). Add compass/outside temperature gage.

Mariner Hybrid
By Bob

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the 4WD Mercury Mariner Hybrid. I find it to be just a little nicer looking than the Escape. It is the same platform and averages 30 MPG. I now have 7K and no problems at all. It fits my family with 2 car seats in the back & still room for shopping or luggage in the back. Also it has front, side & roof air bags. These are great in the snow. As a pick up truck owner all my life I was quickly able to adjust to this little SUV.

Nav system, Audiophile sound, power roof, heated leather. MILEAGE!

Mariner offered ONLY in TAN interior and Escape Only in grey. I would like something darker. Rotate your tires at 5K because they chop due to the short wheel base. My wife has the Escape and it's the same way.

Some Good; some bad
By smokingpizza

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Moved from an Eddie Bauer Expedition to a fully loaded Escape Hybrid. Ford understands large people (I'm 6'4" 300 lbs) and the Escape is comfortable. Mileage is good, but not as good as expected. Ranging 25-28 mpg. Performance with the boost from the electric motor is good, but the CVT takes some getting used to; it revs motor much higher than I'm used to on acceleration and engine whine is loud. Handles well for an SUV. Things I had on the Expedition that I miss more than I thought I would: temp control air/heat, exterior keypad on door, memory seats/mirrors/pedals, and storage room. Probably would not buy again for reasons stated under suggested improvements.

Comfortable seat; good economy and handles well for an SUV; love the GPS system (although screen is really, really small) but it seems to get off track more often than it should.

$34K vehicle and no outside temp gauge. Round bezel on dash gauges is polished chrome and will blind you when the sun hits it. Electrical system has had multiple problems; make sure your dealer is trained on the hybrid; air conditioner doesn't work when on electric; makes hybrid mode useless in hot weather.

fully loaded Escape
By robert

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Moving the seats around to allow more cargo space is a pain; other than that it's a nice vehicle.

Getting it to go into electric mode while at 40mph. Pulling away from someone while standing still and the vehicle is making no noise at all. :)

Too noisy on freeway.

Excellent Vehicle
By Rich Arnold

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our vehicle has so far performed as advertised. We've gotten acceptable MPG though it is very dependent on driver habits. In order to exclusively use the electric motor, you must gently accelerate from a stop. This of course is difficult if you find yourself in front of traffic. The quality, ride, and features are great.

The electric motor...if not, it's a waste of money. The rear seats collapse nicely for a large cargo area.

Length/distance of battery/electric motor capability. I'd like it to go farther on a charge. Plug in capability. It'd be nice to have it parked in a garage and plug it in for a fully charged start in the morning. The instrument panel is pretty cheap looking.