Used 2000 Ford Contour Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Contour

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Alot of problems with this car
By garyd6

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for $5000 in March of 2006. Since then I have put $9,100 in maintenance and repairs. This car has been very problematic and I can't get rid of it. The condenser leaks. The A/C compressor leaks. The exhaust manifold gasket, timing cover gasket, valve cover gasket are all seeping or making noise. The car has $185,000 miles on it.

Awesome
By sals

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

My wife and I love this car. It won't die! Still starts every time with 280,000+ miles on her! Besides the normal maint. we've had to put a fuel pump on it at about 140,000. The way it's going I don't think 300,000 miles is too far from its future. American cars do last if you take care of em and do the preventative maint. like you should on every car.

reliability. never been stranded with this car

cup holder placement awful!

Best car I've ever driven
By Daniel

2000 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004 with 35,000 miles, now it has 79,000 and the only problem I've had was the fuel pump went out at 52,000 miles. Other than that only routine maintenance: oil changes, plugs, tires, etc. Now some parts are wearing, but the car is 10 yrs old so its expected. Great car I love it. Unfortunately somebody ran a red light and plowed the right side totaling the car. However it still drives and is reliable. I'm getting a 98 Contour but still plan to keep my 00 contour for backup.

Reliable. Perfect for long trips. Great gas mileage. Comfortable. Few problems for a cheaper car. Great handling. Seats go all the way back. Huge trunk. Large gas tank at 15.4 gallons. Easy to see out of. Power everything. Decent speakers for stock. Cold A/C.

More leg room for tall people like me. Even in 2000, who used cassette players? Should have all come with stock CD players. Shouldn't have placed the fuel pump inside the gas tank. Ford needs to bring the Contour back!

Too many problems
By BradB

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought my SE Sport new in 2000. Performance-wise, it was a fun car: great handling, a reasonably powerful engine, excellent brakes and steering, good 5-spd. I could drive this car fast and whip it around corners with ease. For $15K, it was probably the best handling four door around at the time. However, the car had way too many quality problems: brake hoses cutting themselves, the A/C failing multiple times, strange sounds from the engine, the dashboard warping. I got tired of it-- basically every year I knew something was going to go wrong. This car had a lot of promise but Ford cut too many corners for me to recommend it.

Great handling. Fun car to drive. Good breaks, steering, gearbox, etc.

Lousy build quality, plain jane dash, cheap stereo.

2000 Ford Contour Sport
By GB

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has incredible performance for the price. It's fast and handles great and is comfortable inside. Most fun car I've had since an 86 Mustang SVO. Drove it on a 2000 mile trip and it got 28 MPG as well. I'm surprised there is not more of an enthusisasts aftermarket for these.

Speed and agility