Used 1999 Ford Contour Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Contour

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

FIRST FORD
By McGuireFamily

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

We bought our '99 Ford Contour over a year ago with 75,000 miles on it. The only thing we had to do was regular maintenance, oil change, brakes, etc. The interior was good but the dash started warping after the first month we had it. But we do live in Las Vegas were it get from any where from 160 degrees inside a car when it's sitting there parked. It never broke down on us, and we never had any problems really. I would say this is a good car for a student, a high school kid maybe. But for a family it’s really small. But it’s very dependable as long as you keep up your owner duties.

Nothing really. It’s a small car. It has all the basics; air, radio, engine etc.

The dash makes a different design so it doesn’t start warping. Maybe make the backseat a little bigger make more leg room for the front and back.

Stranded, Again
By brad83

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

Please avoid this car at all costs! I have been stranded six times with this thing. I've replaced almost every part, several times. This car has no pick up and go. Interior parts are falling off of it. This is my third Ford, and will be my last. Unless you enjoy time on the side of a highway, run screaming!

The gas mileage was OK for a small car.

A trip to the scrap yard. Ford should rethink everything on this one.

A really good commuter car
By Jinxo

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

All in all, I've really enjoyed this car. I buy a car primarily for the engine, and the Duratec V6 has been outstanding. You can't kill it if you shoot it, and it gives good power and mileage (25 city/30 hwy). Some things are starting to break now (the ignition lock, for example, plus some oil leakage), but I've driven it long and hard. I'm really sorry that Ford quit selling these in the US (still available in Europe as the Mondeo, for all the good that does me); I would gladly buy another.

Engine power, fuel economy, front seat comfort, reliability.

Rear seat comfort, cupholders (can't tell you how many drinks I've spilled), bland styling.

I Love This Car
By woods

1999 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

I can't say enough good things about this car - I love it, even at 140,000 miles! We did have the dashboard problem that was fixed via recall, but this car just keeps going and going like the Energizer bunny. The 5-speed manual transmission is very smooth when shifting. The car corners very well, handles very well in snow, and gets great gas mileage (around 34 mpg). I'm extremely disappointed that Ford no longer makes this model, or anything comparable in a 5 speed manual transmission.

Very comfortable interior, great handling.

First - bring back this model! Also, the dash and cupholders could use improvement. Could stand some improvement in the headlight design.

For your Own Sake, Don't do it.
By kobken

1999 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

The V6 engine is good, very powerful. But, for your own sake, please do not purchase this vehicle. We had to replace alternator, check engine shows up all the time, you won't feel safe driving it because there is always a possibility at the back of your head that says, it might break down. The chances are always big for Ford sedans.

Powerful V6 engine, smooth ride.

Engine quality please! How come you never learn. Stick to Japanese cars like Honda.