Used 1999 Ford Contour Sedan Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Contour Sedan

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

It's a good solid Car.
By Imsassy

1999 Ford Contour Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used. Drove it for 2 years and put 48,000 miles on it. Sold it to my son as his first car. Now has 150,000 miles. Replaced the trans and timing belt. Its a great car for a first time driver. Maintenance is key, change the oil every 3months and monitor the fluids. It's not A piece of junk like others have said. It's a good solid car, and yes when the miles add up it will need repair, but show me a car with 150K on it that doesn't need repair.

Can get up to speed on a major highways quickly. Heat, access to fluids. Durablility.

Radio wish it had a CD player.

Great Ford vehicle
By ozzie

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased in Feb 2008 with 91,000 miles on it. Put in about $400 worth of work into her (oil change, power steering fluid, timing belt, fuel injection service, tranny oil change & fuel filter) Has run like I drove her off the lot brand spanking new! Now I know it's only been about 7 months but I can tell you that I am very happy with this very, very well built car. Great handling & packs a punch under the hood.

Fun car to drive. Power when you need it, great handling. Roomy too, I'm 6- 2" and I fit comfortably in it.

Since it's no longer produced not much for me to say but, even if it was still being produced, would only suggest more storage space in the cabin & revamp the cup holders, their pretty bad.

Great car, underrated
By JimmySmitty

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

The Contour is what's known as the Mondeo in the rest of the world. It was designed to be in the same area as cars such as the BMW 325i and Infinity G25. Its a great car and has more power than it seems. The SVT version is a very fast and powerful car and many people underestimate the Contour overall. Its a fun car and has never given me any major problems to date. I have owned a 1996 GL with the I4 ZeTec and currently have a 1999 SE with the 2.5 V6 Duratec. Both are awesome.

The engines power.

Ford to bring it back. We need a car like this with European influance to show that American cars are better.

Contour was worth it.
By Duane

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This Contour is the 4cyl SE. I bought it with 65k miles, and now have 147k. Only thing I have done to it is timing belt and change the timing pulleys (recomended by Ford) and oil changes. Just recently had to replace a suspension part for 30 bucks, but that is all. some repairs can be costly, but, with proper maintainence as mentioned, will be a good car. It handles great, (better than my Tbird) and gets good economy. The one problem- rocker panels are rusted out, but I lived in a dirt road/ salted roads area.

The handling. This car can handle corners very well.

Any car with rust issues can use improvement.

Doors Fall Off and Dash Peels
By Claire

1999 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this as a program car. The door hinges have a clip on top. When the clip corrodes, the door falls off. It happened to me, you can't buy a clip or clip and hinge pin. The dash plastic is peeling up. I am a slow and cautious driver and the transmission had to be rebuilt before 60k miles. The trunk leaked from the beginning and the doors alway freeze shut in bad weather. Sealed beam headlights won't stay sealed. I would not buy another one.

The seats are comfortable and clean easily. I am short and can see well. I have been bumped in rear bumper and front bumper with no visible damage.

Put the hinge pins from the top and be concerned about water-tightness. Toyota wouldn't put hinge pins in at the bottom.