Used 1998 Ford Contour Sedan Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Contour Sedan

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Fords last good vehicle
By pablo

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought a 98 2.0 Contour in 02' when my 89 Volvo died w/276k. Contour had 58k when I bought it now has 136k. I replaced the orig. timing belt at 102K, did it myself with a book in 6hrs. This car has been nothing but pure joy, all electronic,ac/heat work great. Replaced header exhaust flex pipe 2x, Brakes 2x, car is well maintained at 25 city, 32 hiway mph, engine is still tight and clean no oil burning, when I pulled valve cover to set cams. It has some rot coming thru now in front of rear wheels, orig. rear struts will need to be replaced soon. So impressed with this car I bought a 99' w/59k in 06' and stashed it so I have another. The 99 is just as good. I'm buying a 2.0 2000 to keep 2.

Size, 4cyl. power, dependability in all weather, durability, ease and comfort to drive, and low maintainence and cost with normal routine care. I put 8,205x70x14 Goodrich's tires on both Contours, it increased rideability.

they should have put gauges and tach in all 4 cyl. too. The 99 dash is peeling up a little by the defroster. Get rid of the Focus and bring back the Contour

Fun but with problems
By NatG83

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Had 2.5L V6, Auto. Interior was mostly cheap materials, but ergonomic and simple. Seats were firm, but comfortable enough. Alot of issues with the HVAC. The fan motor resister pack blew out and the fuse box shorted. Water pump broke at 50,000 miles. The control for the secondaries on the air intake was made of plastic, thus it wouldn't work if it got too hot. Constantly had issues with O2 sensors failing. Had an issue with the fuel filler. Cheap wiring in the doors cause issues with speakers. But, engine was strong. Mileage was good, but the tank was small. Excellent handling with the Sport package. Excellent capability in the weather. Traded in do to misfire and detonation in one cylinder.

V6 was strong in cooler weather. FWD performed great in dry, wet, or snowy weather. Car was simple, so aftermarket alarm and sound system were easily installed. Plenty of trunk space. Good looks with rear spoiler.

Should have been a coupe, back seat was absent. Worst wiring ever in car. Hard to find a matching tire for the wheels. Engine compartment too crammed for most jobs and mods, and it would trap excessive heat under the hood. Could have used a better OEM water pump.

1998 Ford Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V6
By Nick R.

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My contour was purchased with 9,800 miles in 2003. It was used by an elderly couple until they both passed away. My mother drove it back and forth to work until turning it over to me when I got my driver's license. Today it has just under 80,000 and the car still looks like new. The car has never left me stranded although I have had a couple repairs. Intake manifold gaskets($330) at 34k miles, some pollution device($350 but car was running fine - 55k miles), and just recently replaced tie rod bushing, sway bar link, and control arm bushing. Steering is still tight and the V6 pulls just like it did when pruchased. Have replaced tires, front brake pads and rotors. Avg 25mpg

V6 Engine - Could stand it without. Steering is still tight after 12 years.

Auto Trans is sloppy, shifting between Reverse and Drive, etc. is clunky. Factory stereo is garbage. Interior noise on highway is on the loud side. Back seat space is poor. Might be able to ride if 5'8'' or shorter.

222,000 miles and still going!
By newbie

1998 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Yes, can you believe it! 222,000 miles on this thing, and I am still driving it! I bought this car in 2000 with about 30,000 miles on it, and have had to replace NOTHING under the hood except spark plugs, spark wires, filters - just regular tune-up stuff! I had also purchased a 2005 Focus - but I like my Contour much better. Comfort and interior style were lacking in my Focus. Love this car - I would definitely buy another if they were only still made...

Comfort, interior and exterior "sporty" style

Headlights have a "foggy" film inside that cannot be washed

1998 ford contour cng
By josh

1998 Ford Contour Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

i own a 1998 contour gl it has been great to me 123,000 miles on it original tranny , motor it has been very well takin care of maintanice wise.its my work car it also runs off natural gas it is the cng equipped model. so i can use natural gas and 87 unleaded fuel.I love this car never been to the shop for nothing serious just oil changes and brakes, tires routine stuff.great gas milage for one. even better with the bi fuel when gas prices are ski high i use the natural gas cant beat that only 1 percent come with that on this vechile. if i got rid of it only because i got offered alot for it for mthe natural gas set up on it.i rate this car a overrall 8.all around good vechile.

bi fuel mines cng package on it. It uses natural gas only 1 percent have it on them. works great and runs great on it. Keep it for ever as long as it last which i think it will. Built ford tough. the cng burns so clean in the motor its really good for it. Not this hybird electric crap thats junk.

i have none its no mustang but is not a piece of crap chevy either, could have alittle more stock power from factory thats about it to me maybe around 170hp would be good for a 4banger.