Used 1997 Ford Contour Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Contour

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Best ever
By Nicole Lake

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used with 125K and I have to say it's been the best car I have ever had. Yes it does have the small minor problems such as leaking in the trunk, and the cupholder. This car gets me to school, work, and through my daily task. This is my first car but there was no way I got robbed with it. I definitley gets up and go when you need it too. Gas mileage is great in this car, I get about 28 mpg to 32mpg. Overall the best car ever.

Standard (5 speed)

More room in the back seat, which they already did in the 1999 version.

I love this car
By New Contour

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new for my wife and it lasted 11 years and 140,000 miles and it's still going. Great while the kids were young but too small now. Front seats are suprisingly comfortable for a small car. I wish they still made them because this would be great for my kids when they become new drivers.

Ford Folly
By PimpinGT

1997 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

This car seems to go through front tires at an unbelievable rate. The damn cup holders are junk, one broke and the other one is extremely hard to get up (cheap plastic interior). The next problem was that its battery light would come on whenever I accelerated. Then it died altogether. Finally, every time that I would stop at a stop sign or stoplight, the car sounded like it was going to stall. I wouldn't recommend a ford to anyone for any reason except to put it in a demo derby (hell, it may come out running better).

This car doesn't have any favorites

Stop selling Ford's please

Inexpensive Wheels?
By Chauncey Townsend

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Bought our Contour w/85k miles. Loved driving it. Good on gas, one of my favorite cars out of 15+ owned over the years. Only complaint was at 101k miles the head cracked and ended up costing a small bundle to repair notorious Ford 4 cyl. problem. Just be careful of used high mile Contours.

Power everything, great gas mileage

Cup holders!

Good car with lots of miles
By Beth

1997 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I got my Contour in high school and I have been out of school now for five years and I still have my car. It has a lot of miles on it but my Contour has got me where I needed to go and back. I have always been able to count on it.

Good AC and good heater. AC freezes me!

Better transmissions