Used 1996 Ford Contour Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Contour

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

1996 Ford Contour 4 dr SE
By JB

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for almost 10 years now and I really love how it drives. Great styling, power and pretty good mpg. But the build quality and reliability are no so good. I've replace the catalytic converter, rear strut, brakes 3 times (not too bad), 3 tune ups, radiator, water pump, and now the brakes are going again, clutch is going and there is a small oil leak. The car is worth less than a 1000 bucks so I'm sending it to it's grave. 145,000 it's bad for a Ford but there are a lot of fixes

Style, power, comfort

Nothing, the car is discontinued.

Shane's Nightmare
By Shane

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

When this car was purchased, I had just gotten rid of an 1990 Ford Taurus (never had a problem, just died). Since I've bought this car I've suffered through a blown head gasket, 2 alternators, a water pump, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, alignments, tires, brakes, rotors, battery, gas cap opening problems, check engine light that won't go out, brake fluid & oil that leaks from nowhere (mechanics can't find the source of leak), headlights, lights burning out inside vehicle, along with various electrical problems. Yesterday the speedometer finally went for the long goodbye. I've never spent so much money for car repairs & maintenance in my years of driving. This car completely stinks!

The comfort while driving.

The entire car! Since Ford doesn't make this anymore, they must've realized that the design & parts completely are a waste of time! Don't waste your time & hard earned money with this car!

You may not believe this one!
By the looker

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

First I will list the problems I have had with this vehicle, which I'm sure is no suprise to you the readers. Engine stalls cold. Battery discharges after a couple of days. Window fell of track (drivers side). Engine Idle RPM varies while stopped in traffic. Overheating came because Ford had used a plastic not metal impeller for the water pump. The whole engine wiring had to be replaced because it was falling apart (the plastic insulation). Fan not working light comes on despite you actually seeing the fans working. Now brake pedal is intermittently hard to push during stop. Happens without warning. Now for the interesting part..This vehicle of my original ownership only has 17780. Presently

There are no suggestions other than I wish I could get my money back..

piece 'o junk
By Gene P.

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

No wonder Ford is on the verge of bankruptcy. I have never owned a car so unreliable as this in my life. My daughter got rid of it for a Corolla as she was always having it repaired. Wheel bearings every 50k miles? I only bought it as the body had no rust and have regrets. Transmission torque converter, rear struts, a/c compressor, yellowed headlight lenses, wheel bearings, etc. Back to Honda / Toyota for me.

durable sheet metal(minimal rust for PA winters)

It was discontinued after four years as no one bought it - enough said!

Gets Better with Age
By Annelise

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

My Contour hit 200,000 miles last night! I've got the V6 5-speed. Though I had problems with it early on--water pumps, numerous recalls and that darn engine light that won't go off--it's been great for the last 120,000 miles. I love the way it handles and it still has plenty of power. I'm curious to see how long it will last!

My favorite feature is its stability. I don't have to slow down when taking bends in the road. It's almost as much fun as my motorcycle.

Getting in and out of the back seat is wicked, but I don't have many passengers.