Used 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:

Electrical
By drsnowball

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In July my newly leased, left over 2013 C-Max had a dead battery after sitting overnight. The clock on the dash said 8:38AM. Road side assist came and jumped to start. I called the Ford service center and was told "You must have left something on." I was certain I had not.

On, Sept. 14, 2014, I came out to find my car dead again. The clock (coincidence?) read 8:38 AM; however, after the jump start the clock failed to run.
Thought! For about 10 days continuing, the unlock button on my key was slow to open the passenger door and trunk lock. Perhaps an indication of the battery voltage decreasing?

Tomorrow the service dept. will try to find the problem. I'll let you know.

Good gas milage (47.9 MPG)

Turning radius.

Wonderfully designed Hybrid, but...
By jcwat

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 1-1/2 years of ownership, overall i love this Hybrid..... design, features, noise levels, performance and driveability are excellent. HOWEVER have had some rattles and squeaks develop, and an annoying tapping sound in the rear compartment i cannot find for the life of me! There are several fit and finish issues, the windshield mirror cover is flimsy and doesnt stay in place, poor tolerances on the clips. The inside of the two front door panels are warped where the top edges touch the glass, and there's at least 1/4 " movement /flexing by the jambs on both front doors. These were like this from new, but the service dept. at Bell Ford wouldn't fix them. A module had to be replaced in the rear passenger door. The A/C froze up going over the hills from temp. changes but i believe there's a TSB on that now. Only happened once.

The MPG debate showed realistic mileage,and after 11000 miles, now average is 46. 2 and stable. Varies between 30's -50's (61 highest) on different trips. That's more than 2-1/2 times my 2007 Santa Fe 18.2 mpg lifetime average, so I'm happy. I'd rather have the better performance and extra features than quibble over a few mpg. in comparison to the Prius.

There's an old saying "The ship was ruined for the lack of a ha'porth of tar" meaning the fit and finish issues on the plastic components needs to be improved. Having had my rant, still love the car.

Mostly Nice
By daleinmn

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If I lived in a warm climate I would give this car rave reviews. In a cold climate, not so much. It has been reliable but the mileage and electric range in the winter are so much worse than in the summer, about half as good. Also, one of the big selling points to me was that I could set a departure time using my cell phone, and it would have the cabin at a comfy temperature using wall current by the time I left. Maybe that works on 220 volts, but on 110 it starts warming or cooling about 45 minutes before departure and never does get the cabin comfortable, and it does drain the battery somewhat. Also, the turning radius is absurdly bad. In hybrid mode I get about 36 mpg. After driving a Prius, that stinks. I will say, however, that I loved driving in electric mode while it lasted. It is quiet, quick, and non-polluting.
Bottom line, I didn't buy out my lease when it expired. I bought a Prius. I just couldn't convince myself that the plug-in thing was worth the hassle and cost when the aggregate mileage (electric plus hybrid) wasn't much better than what I could get with a Prius with no plug in. Also, the Prius can haul more, costs less, and has much better resale value. Many reviews said the C-Max was unreliable, although that wasn't my experience. I had not problems at all in that regard.

95K And All Is Great
By nsteblay

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the C-Max under the pretense of getting 47 Hwy / 47 city.
I soon discovered that the EPA doesn't require testing in cold weather.
The C-Max relies on EV mode to get mileage.
Living in Minnesota during the winter the engine needs to run almost constantly to keep the car warm.
Hense overall I'm averaging 43.5 MPG per year.
In the summer I've been averaging 50+ MPG for commutes to work.
Car has been awesome and met all my expectations.

13,000 miles and no problems
By bjhhog

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our first hybrid and I'm so glad we went with the C-max. It has gitty-up when you need it, plenty of space for two adults and one baby (and everything that comes with a baby). driveability is very good and comfortable. This is our second summer with the car, and we are achieving the 45-47 mark. Winter is a different story, more like 42. All in all a very good car and I'm truly surprised there are not more on the road.

MPG's and the acceleration

The NAV system is so frustrating. If they change that, its a 9 out of 10 for me.