Used 2012 FIAT 500 Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 FIAT 500

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Clutch broke at 53,000km
By Dragos Paraschivescu

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Clutch broke at 53,000km, 4 months after the end of 3 year warranty.
Cost of repair was CAD 1,800.
Called Fiat Canada customer support, they did not want to reimburse.

The City car
By Henry Zbyszynski

2012 FIAT 500 C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car was designed to be in a city. The city mpg was always over 22 and the highway went as high as 40. Highway driving was fine with the acceleration of the manual gearbox allowing me to merge into traffic going 60+ mph. I was comfortable driving at 72 mph.Most of my driving was in the Boston area and traversing the river on a high bridge gave me no difficulty in a cross wind. The back seat was occasional used (sometime by me) by adults with no difficulty as long as the passenger seat was move forward a little. With the back seat folded down and access through the hatchback made this a useful vehicle. I always got a lot of attention in a parking lot. The looks were attractive to lots of people and the would ask me about the issues I described above. Overall, a good, reliable, stylish car.

I Hate to Say It, But...
By Michelle Walsh

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

As much as I love it, it's got to go.

Bought used with about 40K miles on it. It's fun to drive, gets great mileage, and I had no complaints until I went to have the oil changed and the mechanic told me there were metal particles in the oil, and I shouldn't be driving it. I bought it from CarMax, who have been wonderful about dealing with this: ended up having to replace the engine (no cost to me), but when the car came back after being gone for a month, the antennae had been broken off (and not replaced) and one of my hubcaps was missing (again, CarMax is being great about repair/replacement).

Came out a week ago to drive to church, and the driver's side door handle came off in my hand. Not a big thing, but a) I live in Wisconsin, where it gets pretty cold, and it was very temperate the night before-not like it was well below freezing and therefore brittle, and b) This car doesn't even have 50,000 miles on it yet.

I'm now wondering "what next" every time I get in the car to drive it. It makes me sad, because I've really loved this car. Too bad Fiat can't make something more reliable...

I'm not sure if my story will have a happy ending
By N.L.

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

As I write this, my car currently has just over 52,000 miles on it and just recently came off of warranty. It's a 2012 Pop 500, which is now three years old. Last January, I got in it to go to work one morning, and could not get it into gear. This baffled me, as it was perfectly fine the day before. Turns out, I had to have it towed to the dealership and they claimed that a bearing wore out in the clutch kit and an entirely new clutch kit had to be installed. At that time, the car was two - I've NEVER heard of such a thing and was horrified! The service manager was vary vague in answering any questions. Fast forward to this Holiday weekend...my daughter and I were headed out for breakfast in honor of my Birthday, when suddenly, the 'new' clutch blows in the middle of a busy city street, leaving us stranded with people honking and waving their arms madly behind us. This time, the car was stuck in first gear, the clutch would not engage and I was in a panic. We finally managed to push it out of traffic to a safe spot to wait for the tow truck. The kicker this time is that my beloved dealership, where I bought the car and have had it faithfully serviced for three years is closing it's doors on Monday!!! This left me having my car towed 15 miles south to a huge dealership that I've never dealt with before, whose online reviews for service are nothing short of appalling.

Let me recap by saying that I thought I selected my car very carefully. I have absolutely loved an adored it, even though I've replaced both headlights (they are not cheap!) and tail lights and more hubcaps than I can count by now. I can live with those petty annoyances, but what really concerns me is that I have 16 months left to pay on this car, and the THIRD clutch is being installed this week. For the record, I baby my car, and most certainly do not beat up on my clutch. In fact, I'm hoping how someone can explain how a bearing gets sheared off, resulting in a brand new kit being installed, then the clutch plate gives way in the brand new kit, 10 months later.

Looks like I'll be trading in my car as soon as it's paid off! I lack the words to express how incredibly disappointed I am. The WHOLE reason I bought a brand new car was so that I did not have to deal with maintenance problems like this. VERY, VERY POORLY DONE, FIAT!

Turn the ignition, nothing happens!
By Sherry Pierce

2012 FIAT 500 Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2012 Fiat L was purchased new from dealer in late 2012. Very glad it came with a 50,000 4 yr warranty as it spends a lot of time at the dealer getting "fixed." After 3 attempts to correct issue with tire pressure light staying on, gave up on it and just disregard the light. My car shut off while I was on the highway doing 55 so I felt blessed to have been able to get it to the shoulder. I was an hour from home in Feb on a freezing day with an infant in the car, but when I my husband arrived the car started and he drove it home like nothing had happened. Sixteen months later, the car died dead again while driving near the beach, this time I had AAA and had it towed to the dealer. Gone nearly 2 weeks and they just replaced the alternator & battery. After that the car would no longer start on first turn of ignition but roared to life on second try... but six weeks later would not start at all. Almost 2 weeks at dealer as they replaced the starter. Two months later, it still won't start on first turn of ignition and it has randomly refused to start at all 3 times in the past month. If I move the shift, open/close door, step on brake and go thru antics it starts, usually after I have called AAA to come get me and have to call them back to cancel the tow. I have had it. Hope to have enough equity to trade by this coming Fall as the negatives are outdoing the positives at this point. I do love the look, the size and the gas mileage but once my warranty is over, this is NOT a car I want to keep due to scary maintenance costs.