Used 2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Urban Vehicle
By Dave Condon

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I live in the Seattle area which means tight parking spaces and little maneuvering room.
The Fiat 500 is an urban vehicle by definition. It is half the size and weight of a Ford F 150.
The Fiat 500 works good for its design purpose. The five speed transmission (manual) is as smooth shifting as they come.
I have had a speaker blow out in one of the doors. The Blue and Me full functions are a joke as the program only works for Microsoft phones. Visibility is excellent. The doors are very wide making getting in and out easy. And finally, the car always has a smile on the grill.
I notice time and again people smiling back at the car and children turning around for a second look. The Fiat 500 is fun to drive.
UPDATE: While getting my oil changed at the Fiat dealer a red with bright green wheels Fiat Pop 500 came into the service center. The owner needed a new wiper blade. His car had 123,000 miles on it with no major problems.
--> At 19000 miles transmission pressure plate and transmission synchro started to fail and I got a factory recall notice for a problem related to clutch failures. My Fiat 500 Pop was a cute car but I traded it. I replaced it with a 2016 KIA Rio and a 100000 mile, 10 year warranty. My Fiat days are over.<--
Safety: The little Fiat places the vehicle occupants in serious danger in a rear end collision as there is nothing to crumple. The little Fiat is cute but with all the distracted cell phone drivers
on the road, a rear end hit is a high probability.

2012 Fiat 500 pop
By Kellster07

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my fiat its adorable inside and out and gets me where I want to go. Due to the wide trunk we are actually able to fit a lot in the back of my fiat with the back seats down including our lawn mower. I have had to replace my windshield several times due to rocks hitting the windshield while driving in highways due to fiat being so low to ground. I also think the windshield glass is not strong as the rocks were not too big and I was far from the trucks. Another issue I had was my hubcabs continuously fall off, I paid for two and then decided to stop paying for them and have had one missing for 9 months now as I refuse to pay for another. The clock in my car is always wrong, small detail yes but annoying, as I have fixed it to the correct time a dozen times and it weirdly keeps going back to 7 minutes behind schedule. The inside of the car is very hard to clean including the steering wheel and dashboard due to the texture and different finishes. It either doesnt clean it at all or leaves streaks, I have tried a bunch of different cleaning products at this point. The ride is beyond bumpy, my friends who have ridden in the car have stated that it feels like they are on a carnival ride. The back seats are not comfortable at all and not full side seats, so if you want that dont get a fiat. The front seat surprisingly has a lot of leg room per my husband. The car is easy to drive and park and gets great gas mileage. I have people asking me about my car and peering in the window all the time. Its an adorable car and fun to drive but definitely has it drawbacks.

Trading in
By winthrop53@gmail.com

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got a letter for a blow out sale so I drove my Fiat to the dealership and I was fortunately able to get a new loan for a 500L. I got a great deal on the new car but the trade in on my 2012 Fiat Pop was really low due to issues pertaining to the clutch and the engine noise. After reading some other reviews I am apparently not the only one with these issues. Someone else had to get a new clutch under 40,000 and mine has only 34,000. Also another review complained about changing spark plugs and their costs at an early mileage. I just had to replace mine. The engine noise just got so loud in the last few months - out of nowhere. Service kept telling me it is a Fiat.? Again in another review the engine noise gave them a headache. Then there is the electrical. Tire monitor light went on after 15,000, some sort of electrical problem. I had the same problem mentioned in a review. I was constantly checking my air pressure. Service couldn't help. They just would check the air pressure and say it is fine. I had to replace both headlights at 34,000, also mentioned in another review and of course replacing the hub caps two or three times a year at $55.00 a piece. Hope I have better luck with the 500L. Risky getting another Fiat but financially I was stuck due to low trade in value.

Should have known better than to buy a Fiat
By Maureen M

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2012 Fiat 500 Pop used. This was 2 years ago and it had 36,000 miles on it. (Found out it had been a former rental car...in Las Vegas). The only reason I chose this one was it was the only used automatic they had (I can drive a manual but in L.A. I choose not to). Electrical problems from the start. Warning lights always coming on (Check engine). Half the time they couldn't say what was wrong. For a couple months the car went to service every other week. Finally got that to stop then one day I turn on the car and the mileage was blinking. Again to the shop for resetting. I took my car in for an oil change a couple weeks ago and was told it had a leak (somewhere where they needed to drop out the engine). $89 for parts. Over $1k for labor. (Not had it done). This past Friday I pushed the button to lower my drivers window and heard a thunk. Window dropped an inch and has stayed there. Getting it fixed today. Thankfully (without being consulted when I bought the car) I somehow ended up with the extended warranty - Maximum Care. So the window will be just $100 (deductible). Going to find out if the oil leak is covered as well.

I wanted to trade in the car for a new 500L since they contacted me looking for 2012 Pops. Too much negative equity. Well no kidding. This thing had negative equity when I bought it. Kicking myself for not buying the brand new Toyota Prius C that I test drove at another dealership. As soon as I can this car is gone!

Can't Wait To Get Rid Of It!
By CG13

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for three years and have put 20,000 miles on it. Bought it because it was adorable, inexpensive, and great for my city-street/low-speed commute (which is now a freeway commute). Here is my take on the car:

The GOOD: Cute as heck. Verde Chiaro color still turns heads. Good little car for putting around town (grocery-getter) on city streets. Brakes are responsive. Storage space in the car is about what you expect - not a lot of room but with a little bit of tetris skills you can fit a lot. Decent gas mileage (I expected better for a car so small).

The BAD: I fear for my life on the freeway - no joke - and I am a very good driver who has never had an accident. Blind spots galore! Acceleration is extremely unreliable - sometimes you give it gas and it reluctantly goes slowly, other times the engine revs but it sits there... So if you need to make an evasive maneuver that requires accelerating, hit the gas and hope for the best. Engine noise gives me a headache. Interior shows scratches easily. My tire pressure monitor sensor stopped working at 15k (I haven't the time during the week to have it taken care of since the dealer won't do anything other than oil changes on Saturdays). My boyfriend said it's like a beer can on wheels and worries about my safety every day. Must use 91 octane or better gas for best performance. Doesn't always start on the first turn (Fiat said this is normal for this engine - ???).

I foolishly accepted a lease term longer than I wanted and am almost done but am seriously considering eating the penalties for turning it in early. Especially since it looks like it is prone to having more mechanical issues that I would be responsible for.