Used 2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

So far pretty good 5 years
By adam

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

It will get you to your destination perhaps not the most modern or stylish you can go anywhere . Stay on top of the maintenance schedule and if you keep in mind your not the fastest or coolest you can outlast them and pass more then a few too.

Clutch broke at 53,000km
By Dragos Paraschivescu

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Clutch broke at 53,000km, 4 months after the end of 3 year warranty.
Cost of repair was CAD 1,800.
Called Fiat Canada customer support, they did not want to reimburse.

I Hate to Say It, But...
By Michelle Walsh

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

As much as I love it, it's got to go.

Bought used with about 40K miles on it. It's fun to drive, gets great mileage, and I had no complaints until I went to have the oil changed and the mechanic told me there were metal particles in the oil, and I shouldn't be driving it. I bought it from CarMax, who have been wonderful about dealing with this: ended up having to replace the engine (no cost to me), but when the car came back after being gone for a month, the antennae had been broken off (and not replaced) and one of my hubcaps was missing (again, CarMax is being great about repair/replacement).

Came out a week ago to drive to church, and the driver's side door handle came off in my hand. Not a big thing, but a) I live in Wisconsin, where it gets pretty cold, and it was very temperate the night before-not like it was well below freezing and therefore brittle, and b) This car doesn't even have 50,000 miles on it yet.

I'm now wondering "what next" every time I get in the car to drive it. It makes me sad, because I've really loved this car. Too bad Fiat can't make something more reliable...

I'm not sure if my story will have a happy ending
By N.L.

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

As I write this, my car currently has just over 52,000 miles on it and just recently came off of warranty. It's a 2012 Pop 500, which is now three years old. Last January, I got in it to go to work one morning, and could not get it into gear. This baffled me, as it was perfectly fine the day before. Turns out, I had to have it towed to the dealership and they claimed that a bearing wore out in the clutch kit and an entirely new clutch kit had to be installed. At that time, the car was two - I've NEVER heard of such a thing and was horrified! The service manager was vary vague in answering any questions. Fast forward to this Holiday weekend...my daughter and I were headed out for breakfast in honor of my Birthday, when suddenly, the 'new' clutch blows in the middle of a busy city street, leaving us stranded with people honking and waving their arms madly behind us. This time, the car was stuck in first gear, the clutch would not engage and I was in a panic. We finally managed to push it out of traffic to a safe spot to wait for the tow truck. The kicker this time is that my beloved dealership, where I bought the car and have had it faithfully serviced for three years is closing it's doors on Monday!!! This left me having my car towed 15 miles south to a huge dealership that I've never dealt with before, whose online reviews for service are nothing short of appalling.

Let me recap by saying that I thought I selected my car very carefully. I have absolutely loved an adored it, even though I've replaced both headlights (they are not cheap!) and tail lights and more hubcaps than I can count by now. I can live with those petty annoyances, but what really concerns me is that I have 16 months left to pay on this car, and the THIRD clutch is being installed this week. For the record, I baby my car, and most certainly do not beat up on my clutch. In fact, I'm hoping how someone can explain how a bearing gets sheared off, resulting in a brand new kit being installed, then the clutch plate gives way in the brand new kit, 10 months later.

Looks like I'll be trading in my car as soon as it's paid off! I lack the words to express how incredibly disappointed I am. The WHOLE reason I bought a brand new car was so that I did not have to deal with maintenance problems like this. VERY, VERY POORLY DONE, FIAT!

Totally Disappointed! Hell on Wheels
By Disappointed Consumer

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worse car I've ever had. Since day 1, the dashboard isn't happy unless there is an indicator light on! It's always something wrong with the car, things that should hardly ever go wrong. The headlamps are always needing repair. It's a three year old car and already I've had the engine worked on 3 times, all lights replaced, a new airconditioner put in, the starter went out and that was over $500.00 in repairs, and most recently the gear switch cord broke...another $500.00 repair. I'm afraid to drive it and unfortunately I still have 2-3 years of payments to make on this car. I'm so very sad I trusted the good reviews and the commercials saying how great the car is. As far as fuel consumption..I pay just as much as if I had a larger car. I bought the car to help save money, help support dealers in in America and to have an economical car while I'm going through a low paying job transition and it has made me late with all my bills because of always needing repairs. I need a miracle to get me out of this car. so disappointed. I'm in tears writing this review. Don't buy one and don't listen to all the great ratings...because after your warrentee runs out, it's Hell on wheels.