Used 2001 Dodge Stratus Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Stratus

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Stay away
By Travlnmn41

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy this car. My AC went out after 3 years and it was no minor problem -- it was a $2,700 problem. Also had to completely replace my brakes and one part unique to the coupe was hard to find. The shop had to special order it and I was without a car for a week.

Mixed emotions
By '01 Stratus SE Sedan

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Status was a company lease with high highway miles. I'm not quite sure what the deal was, but I had so many problem with the car. Luckily I had the factory and the extended warranty that I chose to purchase. I am currently on my third A/C & heating control module. The chrome lettering on the sides, "SE", "DOGDE", "STRATUS" peeled off. I t has very low head room, especially in the back seat. I was very surprised by the power it has for a 4 cylinder, but very disapointed in the gas mileage. I had the same mileage in my old Lumina 6 cylinder. I had a theory about first model year vehicles and a recent issue of Consumer Reports saying that they have more problems.

Although my views are mostly negative, I do like the agility of the car. The stereo is great for a factory system. Good trunk space with the fold down rear seats. I like the sleek styling even for a sedan.

More leg room for the driver. Ground clearence is too low. Not good for Upstate NY winter driving. Any lower and its a plow. Very tight engine compartment. Bad blindspots when looking right, passenger headrest gets in the way. Better fuel mileage is a must.

2001 Stratus
By Skeeter

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car! It has excellent mileage for a mid size car, even around town. I trust it not to let me down on long trips too. Also get a lot of compliments on it.

4 years later...
By rtlady

2001 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

...and I still love this car. Only flaws so far-I'm still having to replace or turn rotors every 7,000 miles or so, and they squeak inbetween the whole time. Definitely a bummer given that the car is such a head- turner. Also, my EGR valve went shortly after the 3 year factory warranty was up, and extended warranty doesn't cover any vehicle emissions equipment. Cosmetically, the paint has held up great (but then I really baby it) except the door handles look faded and the chrome-like finish is peeling off some of the letters. I also started hearing a "sproing" like noise around 20,000 miles when I first start the car and put it in drive and dealer can't find source of problem.

Paint finish, "head-turning" factor, great acceleration, and the awesome stereo system.

Improved or larger rotors. Definitely should have had dual exhaust. Improve the turning ratio, and decrease space between top of tire and wheel well to give a more aggressive look. Biggest drawback to this car is the lousy resale value and poor service.

Stratus
By Greg

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 2001 Stratus 4Dr. SE Sedan (4cyl) is a fine car. Although it a little louder than I'd prefer It's still a nice vehicle. The interior is laid out good. The controls are easy to read and access. The front seats are comfortable. The 4 cylinder has decent power and acceleration.

Body style, comfort and control layout

Refine the engine