Used 1993 Dodge Shadow Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1993 Dodge Shadow

View reviews for a specific Shadow model:

The 300,000 Mile Beast
By Czarina

1993 Dodge Shadow 4dr Hatchback

The title of my review says it all. I am a 22 yr old college student who inherited the car as a hs grad gift in 02. My dad bought the car brand new in 93. This car always started, never died, and felt like a tank (I hit my 53 yr old iron/stone based mailbox @ 30mph day I got my permit, blasted it to pieces, and only put a small dent on the front bumper .. keep in mind plows have hit the mailbox tons of times ...) I miss this car, orig. auto. transmission started to go at 274,283 miles, and continued to run until it reached 275,963, then it froze up. I replaced it with a used one, and drove the car to 300,000 original miles b4 the used tranny decided to die on me ....

Put studded snow tires on this thing and it's better than a 4x4 Jeep .. it's a BEAST! Easy to squeeze into tight spaces but fun to drive, and it was truly amazing how reliable and cheap it was to fix this car. I miss her ... that Shadow was so good to me!

Recall on paint due to poor quality primer (paint chipped off easily), a HAND E-Brake for the manual models (donuts helloo? - foot ebrakes aren't any fun and 16" wheels .. if I could buy this car on my own brand new ...oh man ... ::sighs:: Sometimes you just gotta let go ....

Good life
By bzieba

1993 Dodge Shadow 2dr Hatchback

This was the first of three we bought, and the last to go. It's on its last leg, but it's been a good car. For a 13 year old car and 155m plus miles later can`t complain too much. It's on its second tranny, the cooling system gave us a bit of trouble, the hardware is falling apart, the body is fair, minimal rust, paint held up very well, three accidents and still drives straight as an arrow. Mileage is fair, overall performance is down, but, I think these cars were made to "drive till they drop". Don`t see many of these on the road anymore. Nice while it lasted, but, time for the recycle yard.

Nice body style good little engine

Out of production after 1994, good move by Dodge.

Good while it lasted
By bzieba

1993 Dodge Shadow ES 2dr Hatchback

3rd shadow we have owned. nice car but watch out after you hit 100m plus miles, start your euology. These are what we call "throw away cars", after 10-12 years throw em in the junk yard. They will start to fall apart. Mechanically, body and hardware. Actually one is still going pretty good with 135m miles on it, the other two are done. Transmissions seem to be first, then cooling systems go haywire, and the usual minor repairs but will nickel and dime you . Gas mileage is allright, nothing to shout about though, ride is well, a ride in a small car, what do you expect. A pretty basic car, good for the high schooler or college transportation, not a family car though.

Looks, compact size, good engine for zippin around town

Good idea by Dodge to quit production in 1994

Poor Quality
By fgdt

1993 Dodge Shadow ES 2dr Hatchback

I've had to replace the altenator
twice, I've replaced the battery
numerous times. The clutch now needs
to be fixed. The paint is chipping
severly and the body is rusting. There
is a leak in the roof when it rains.
The sunroof wheezes when the car is
driven. I've replaced both doors
because they fell off the hinges. I've
had to replace the water pump and
numerous belts. This car is not
reliable. Every time I got into it I
worried about how far it would actually
take me. I would not recommend that
anyone who is mechanically inclined
purchase this vehicle. If you like
fixer-uppers and know a lot about cars
this car is for you.

none

Everything

Average vehicle, good bang for buck
By lrhs54

1993 Dodge Shadow ES 4dr Hatchback

Bought this shadow brand new. It has
always been a suprisingly fast car. It
was driven pretty hard, lost the
tranny at 105k,
alternator and distributor cap @ 80k.
But it was in a serious wreck at 68000,
and it never seemed to run like it did
after being rebuilt. Now has 125k and
oil is creeping in to the plugs, making
for it to mix and misfire. I still
drive it every day, and if you put your
foot down it still moves pretty good.
But the gas mileage has lowered to
about 15-17mpg. Decent car for the
money. Love American vehicles and
believe in them despite this average
score from the Shadow.

Powerful 3.0 V6, very nimble, great vehicle for rain or snow (heavy front end), satisfactory interior space.

Questionable reliability of aluminum head, boring interior design, poor adhesive on ceiling cloth.