Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:

Ram This!
By brandonb

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've had three Ford powerstrokes in a row (all 7.3L's) but I didnt' want to get a 6.0L after hearing all the troubles with them. I'm glad I made that decision. My Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Dually is awesome. Tremendous performance, pulls my horse trailer like a dream, smooth ride for a one ton, plenty of room, and so far great reliabilty. I'm not knocking the 7.3L ford's because I was very happy with each of those, but this Dodge is the real deal!!

MegaCab roominess, outright power, great looks

I love the 6 speed, but it doesnt' get great fuel mileage when running 70+ on the freeway. I think OD/6th gear should run lower RPM's so that fuel economy could improve.

Kick in the pants
By KAZOO

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Get the 6 speed manual. You have incredible acceleration power around town and can open it up on the hwy. Mileage has been a constant 18mpg measured at the pump. The indicator is about 1mpg high. Mileage goes down on the hwy running 75mph to 16. That is disappointing. Farm bought an 2007 last week and it is not near the fun. Find a used one without all the emissions stuff.

6 speed, Cummins, power

Needs a super over drive on the open road. She is running too many rpm at 75mph

Pure Power
By JPC

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel Laramie 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is my first Dodge and I must say, I am impressed. The Cummins engine is something to experience. Unbelievable power, smooth ride, and I get 20 mpg hwy (and I'm only at 1500 miles!). This truck easily doubles as my daily drive as the handling is superb and I can park anywhere a half-ton can.

The engine is amazing. So quiet, I forget it's a diesel. I like that I was able to get a 1-ton that is no bigger than a half-ton as I have to drive around the city. It even fits in my garage!

4 speed auto transmission is a little jerky. I wish I had held out for an '07 which has a new tranny.

Great Truck
By belliott77

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Awesome truck. It has twice the power of my gas truck and it gets much better gas mileage. It is solid, no rattles and the mega cab has tons of room. My kids all wish we had this truck years ago. Tows our 27' trailer like it wasn't back there. I seriously considered getting SLT or one of the other option packages. I am so glad I didn't. The Laramie is a great package. It was a big investment, but worth it.

Cummins engine. Mega cab. Nav. Satellite radio. Leather

Better A/C. Manual locking hubs. Gauges, transmission temp, boost. Bigger stock tires

Nothing Better
By Jack Cates

This is my first diesel. The combination of Dodge and Cummins cannot be beat. This truck "feels" more solid than the Ford or Chevy. Tows a 9000 pound 5th wheel like it isn't there. Recommend the Dodge Cummins to anyone.

Power, power, and power