Used 2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

2009 Diesel Dodge 2500
By Dave Paschal

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this pickup as a used pickup because it was an 09 sold to me in 10. It only had 26 miles on it, so it was new, but the warrantee had started, so they had to sell it as used. When I started to write this review, there was no diesel choice in the list. It is a 2009, 2500, 4 door long bed diesel, with manual 6 speed transmission. I now have approx. 55,000 miles on it. It is not my daily driver, but is used to haul gravel, building supplies, 2 AVTs via a slide in rack, and various camp trailers. I have had no issues with the truck, other than the few recalls. I had to replace the batteries after 4 years. I change and sample my own engine oil. I have never received a bad oil sample report. I change my fuel filter every other oil change. I let the truck tell me when to change the oil. Normally about 7500 miles. I always use full synthetic oil and a quality filter. When I carry 2 full size Polaris ATVs and pull the camp trailer, the rear springs needed a little help, so I added an air compressor and 2 rear air bags. With that set up, it works great. This engine puts out 350 horses. This is quite adequate for all of my travels. My engine is box stock, and I do not plan on upgrading the chip. If a programer is added, I think that you will have problems with the clutch. That is the weakest link. The 4 wheel drive works well. The Michelin tires that it came with were awful in the snow. If it were not for the 4 wheel drive, I could not get out of my driveway. I have replaced those tires, and the snow does not bother it too much now. When I go to my Polaris dealer, that is about 40 miles away, I get 25 MPG. That is going no faster than 55. If you go 80, it gets about 15 to 17. My frame is robust. I do not think that you could overload it. Other things would fail before the frame. With 2 quads loaded up, and pulling the camp trailer, (25'Lance) it gets about 11-12 MPG. This truck starts up easily at -20 Degrees. It never heats up. Even pulling hills loaded, it will run a little hotter than normal, but never in the danger zone. I simply love this truck.

Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.7
By Fbj

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Best tuck that I've own for the low cost. Have owned better but paid twice as much

The greatest dodge diesel ever built
By bill winters

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

i had a 05 dodge 2500 quad hemi i absolutely loved,but i was pushing 70,000 miles and decided to spend some of the kids inheritance so bought a 09 dodge 2500 slt quad diesel 6 speed auto.this truck just blew my mind.so much power its scary,it has all the upgrades stereo, Sirius, blue tooth phone, power rear window and it gets great mileage. Only got 1500 miles on it and I get 14.5 mpg pulling a 6000 trailer and empty 25 mpg. I did put on a k&n filter. The only problem is at 1500 rpm, if I let up on the gas then apply it there's a vibration between the engine and transmission. The dealer assures me it'll go away but I'm going to pressure the dealer on this.

i cannot think of anything negative about this truck.I've had them all and this truck is super! The diesel, 6 speed, stereo, phone, the looks, and look at all of them on the road towing monster rvs, that tells you something.

dodge, don't change a thing.you can't improve on this truck.

Save Time and Money
By Georgia Polecat

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Folks, I'm hear to save you some time and money. I have owned them all. GMC,Ford,Chevrolet all with diseal engines. You should alredy know that a gas motor can't compare to a diseal, even the Hemi. I finally bought a Dodge. It is the best truck I have ever owned. It rides great,looks great,tows like a dream. I get 23 mpg just driveing around. I get 18 mpg towing a 10,000 lb trailer going 70 mph with the air on. This is completely stock. You don't need to anything to it. I wish someone would have told me this as it would have saved me allot of money and headaches. I had to learn the hard way. Do your self a favor and buy a Dodge with the Cummins and the EVIC system. You will be glad you did.

6.7 Cummins with 6 speed auto trans. The ride, fuel savings and a list too long to write here. It,s a great truck.

Can't think of a thing. Maybe when I get a couple million miles on her.

Awesome Truck
By cd

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I pinch myself every time I drive this truck. The short bed handles great, the interior is luxury for me, the four wheel drive is great, exhaust brake is great, visibility wonderful, and build quality seems to be top notch for an American vehicle. I have driven the Tundra and this trick kicks but. The 6.7 litter dodge with the 6 speed is out of this world. The mirrors are also brilliant. The Dodge is better than Chevy and Ford (neither one utilizes the solid four piece frame channels).

Laramie package, bench seating, storage space, looks, flip down mirrors. The looks of the 09 rocks over the new square 2010 trying to look like a Tundra. Fuel mileage is awesome when you think about what this truck does (19 mpg).

The only complaint and I am pretty uptight and might be hearing things is I notice a slight ping at 1600 RPM. I have read the forums and only one other has noticed this. I think the two inch leveling kit should be standard as well as front and back mud flaps.