Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

This truck is everyone I had hoped for
By Nicky

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4WD QUAD CAB 5.7L now about 20 months and I do not have a single complaint. It is extremely reliable and fun to drive and pretty much rides like a refined truck. I get over 15 mpg driving it easy to and from work and around town and if I drive it hard the mileage drops to around 13.5 mpg. Handling and braking are excellent as is the interior functionality and comfort with plenty of storage space under the rear seat.

Interior, handling, braking and acceleration/power.

Can't think of any.

5.9 Cummuns
By ptff

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I have the Cummins in mine and it is awesome. The fuel mileage around town is about 16.9 usually and on the highway between 20.5 and once I got 23. When the motor runs above 2000 rpm the mileage falls pretty quickly. I have the 373 gear so I can still run around 70 mph with good mileage.I have driven it off rd. on the beach in NC and it did very well the motor has so much low end that it has no trouble at all. I won't take in the mud so I won't be able to report on that,it's to nice of a truck. I plan on keeping this truck forever and hopefully it will be the last p/u I ever have to purchase. I want a Challenger, Camaro or must. Once I pay this off in around 3 yrs.

Love the Cummins
By Thomas

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Put 30k on in the first year. For the most part the truck is great. Have owned several Cummins Dodges. Spend a lot of time in the diesel performance arena, and nothing beats the Cummins. Considerably better trucks than my past Cummins Dodges. Better brakes, better ride, better stock power and better stability for heavy towing. Mileage will never match the older 12v's. Too much stock power and emmissions equipment to have great mileage. Still much better and more powerful than any gas engine. Will buy more Cummins Dodges. Five in the family now.

The Cummins is hands down the best feature. The brakes are next. I am surprised with how well the 48RE auto has worked, having rowed gears the last 15 years.

The TIPM. Totally Integrated Power Module is too sensitive to be on a work truck. If you plow, tow trailers, or add additional accessories it will probably trip. Only way to fix it is with a dealer reset. Six resets and the unit needs replaced at $600 + labor. Only applies to 06 and newer.

Happy towing.
By J.D.

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Since purchasing new in August of2006 I've put 25,000 trouble free miles on this truck. I have been pleasantly surprised that the thing still feels solid with no rattles or squeeks. The 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel engine is great, tows my trailer with ease. It has over 7000 miles with thetrailer behind it so far and many more miles carrying heavyloads in the bed. The fuel mileage is decent for a 7000lb. vehicle but the mileage while towing is where it really shines. Overall I have been very pleased with this truck.

The 5.9 CTD engine and the overall styling of the truck.

Better air conditioning would be nice, takes a while for it to cool the cab on a hot day. The seats aren't all that great, could use some redesign to make them more comfortable.

The best truck I have owned so far
By denis

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I have the 5.9 diesel, and it has been an incredible truck. I like the power,I can haul everything that I need for work, and it is comfortable to drive long distances in

Everything about this truck is perfect. Too many features to list

Install a factory brake controller. Nothing else to say the truck is perfect.