Used 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Given way more credit than it deserves
By First Pick Up

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought the Dodge during a 50% off sale...Stickered $31K, paid $15K. Within the first 1K miles, I had the gas tank replaced because it sprayed gas out of the filler neck when filling up. At 2K miles, the Wipers went on it. They replaced a WCM module. I'm at roughly 10K miles and no other problems other than some rattles. My biggest complaint, driving on wet roads is like driving on ice. Even when I take it easy, the rear tires (Goodyear HP's) break free on wet pavement VERY easily. The 5.7 Hemi is not very smooth or refined, I expected better from such a hyped-up engine. I can't see me buying another Dodge ever again.

Great price when discounted 50% but that's about all they're worth. Used one's are pretty cheap too. I feel sorry for anyone that paid anywhere near sticker for one. Good thing it came with a lifetime power train warranty. Looks pretty good. Powerful.

Hopefully the 2009+ are better then the previous model years. Cheap plastic materials. Problem prone. Poor resale values. 20" Chrome wheels are just thick plastic wheel covers!

Great buy
By Big Horn

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this truck when Dodge was having the fire sale prices in fall of 2008- the sticker price was a little over $ 34K and I paid $ 18, 250.00 I had always been a Ford man but i couldn't pass up the price. So far the truck has been a pleasant surprise- driven it 30K miles in just over a year- once to Maine and on several long trips. Very comfortable, very nice styling and only a few problems- all taken care of under warranty- the windshield developed a stress crack and one of the front shocks leaked- the stealership replaced both fronts at no charge. Gas mileage is decent as I always average about 19mpg on highway. Those of you who complain about gas mileage should do the speed limit!

Gas mileage/ towing performance

Metal used in the bumpers is too thin- dents very easily.

tranny problem
By nadine2008

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

So I bought this pickup in late 08, she's bee fantastic until today, went to drive it, wouldn't go into gear, or any gear for tha matter, had to have it towed to dealer, renta vehicle from soewhre else andno haveto wat the days to tell me what's wrong, the transmison will have o be taken apart aparently. Not happy rightnow, the trucks been great until now, do reason to d this, dove fine on Wednsday, now she won't go.

get up and go, heated seats, awsome soung system,

dvd playe built into back of seats,

Great Truck, even for a college kid
By metallicarox2009

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I needed a new vehicle for college, and I decided I wanted a pickup truck for the 6 hour drive out of state. I've always been a Dodge guy and fell in love with the Ram 1500. Its a Big Horn edition, which adds some nice features, I got it as a rebuilt with 8,000 miles on it. It is a blast to drive and I have had no problems with it, the HEMI produces plenty of power while getting a decent 17-18 MPG on the highway at 75 MPH. It is very comfortable for long road trips and just puttering around town, after you drive it for a few months, it doesn't even feel like a full size truck, overall i'm very happy with my Ram.

HEMI is very powerful, comfortable, radio w/ aux input, power seats, interior is very simple with no frills, remote start.

Fuel mileage could be better, then again i could slow down a bit on the highway, but it is a big truck so its expected. Parking can still be a hassle, i'm getting better, but some spots just aren't the right size.

Ok, but those are the brakes
By bphemi

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this truck and did a couple of minor updates. The biggest issue I've had was that the front brakes locked up 3 times after a long trip. The guy at the Stealership told me that he couldn't find anything wrong? Too which I replied "that must explain the melted calipers and brakes shims lol". They performed a repair and so far so good. I have alignment problems, but I did lift the front 2.5 inches to get more of an aggressive look. Nice truck! It's my second so lets see if it holds up like the first.

Hemi

Interior is kind of bland. Exterior is clean and good looking.