Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Fun to drive
By Chris

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I am having a fun time with my Ram driving off road to the fishing holes I fish at. I have no problem with it and enjoying it even on the long trips i have gone on with it.

2006 Dodge
By Chad

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

Have had mine for 4 years now with 49k on odometer. At approx. 15k I had to have air recirculation door replaced (warranty). At 30k I had to have rotors turned and transmission replaced (transmission replaced under warranty). I rarely tow and when I do it is nothing more than an enclosed motorcycle trailer with a Harley. I'm a bit disappointed in reliability. Plenty of power, very quiet and comfortable ride and plenty of room except for rear seat passengers. Avg. fuel economy is between 16 and 17 mpg. -- I expected closer to 20 mpg with the MDS system. I'll keep it as long as it runs but I'll probably go with Ford when the time comes to replace it.

Power, room, comfortable ride, lots of storage.

Questionable reliability.

Mega Cab Savior
By Mike

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is not great on gas mileage (rual driving avg 14.3 mpg) but has gotten us out of plenty of jams and is great for family camping trips. I have pulled cars sideways out of the mud while I was in the mud (great traction even with heavy and difficult load to pull). The best feature of this truck though is the internal space, you have to see it from the inside to grasp how big it actually is (comfortably fits 5 full grown men for long trips).

I suggest step tubes, mud flaps, bed rug tonneau cover and electronic locking tailgate.

poor gas milage
By eric

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is half the truck my 98 gmc z71 was. I mean the 4 wheel drive has a mild low range and cant really get the truck to pull the boat out of the water. The ride is rough and have no idea that a truck made in 2006 can get the same fuel economy as a model A. The comfort of the seat is like siting on a rock. I dont know if its because the truck is cheaply made or that all the other american made trucks are that much better. Also if you lean against the truck you will dent the slim sheet metal. I can't think of any other truck that shifts as much as this one. It dosen't even know when it wants to.

The looks and maybe that well the looks. Wife looks hot in it.

Maybe you can start by trading for a Ford or Chevy but you will nead alot more money because there is no resale value. If theres improvements to make it would be the engine.It's very powerful but has no low end torque. If you tow,load dirtbikes or just want to get firewood this truck is not for you.

SLT 4X4 Quad Cab
By Marc Kurbansade

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

This has been a great truck (going on four years ownership) and I would recommend to anyone. Never any major problems but I have kept up on maintenance. The only problem has been the air recirculation door for the A/C system (my mechanic says it is fairly common in this model) and unfortunately I found out about it 1,000 miles after my warranty expired. Gas mileage is OK (average about 15 mpg based on my combo of highway/city driving) but that's what I expected with a 5.7L/345 hp engine. The ease of flipping up the rear set allows for easy carting of cargo (mostly my Dobermans).

Performance. Rear seat (storage area) and access. Dash controls.

Quality of interior upholstery. Air Recirculation Door.