Used 2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Money pit
By rm slone

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SLT 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this truck new. It was OK for about 75K miles. I always had it serviced by the dealer according to manufacturer's recommendation, it now has 135K. I had to have one of the engine heads replaced because of a crack. The transmission shifts OK but will not move for several seconds after starting. The 4x4 is very weak. The front differential has leaked since 115K miles and they can't seem to get it stopped, In the last 20K miles I've replaced the left CV axle and stub shaft once and the left CV axle and stub shaft 3 times. I seldom use the 4x4. This will be my last Dodge or Ram truck

i wish....
By ultramark

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

CONS-Poor build quality for the 3.7L, The bearings are Aluminum :(
-also the gauges are practically dummy gauges, oil pressure gauge reads "normal", even if low pressure is going on. Very disappointed to find "spun" AL bearings, when the oil gauge read normal, >>"Each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM or ECM indicating the engine oil pressure is about 6 psi (very low) or lower, the check gauges indicator will be illuminated.", otherwise reads "normal" = your engine might already be already destroyed, (mine 100k),
the 3.7 rebuild is almost as expensive as a Hemi & about 1000$ more than 4.7 ect. Very disappointed to find oil sludging was an issue with the vehicle as well.

PROS-Price, good looks & ride, spacious interior, fair towing ability, good abs brakes (not std), 2wd

Real gauges are needed for oil (cause of Aluminium parts) and temp (Aluminium heads), the CD player as others have commented upon, randomly does not work. (ended up swapping it out), never got over 17mpg ever. usually 15-16mpg. The oil seals are not very good, tried using synthetic oil and it leaked badly.

My Ram
By Mark

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I own a 2005 Dodge Ram with a 3.7 V6 with an automatic transmission. I have 61,000 miles and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my truck, well except for the factory cd player which only takes a few of my cd's and spits the rest out. I wish I could have gotten a quad cab with a V8 but I got a good deal on this one. I was skeptical about the small V6 but it is plenty capable of getting around. I have driven the V8's and the power difference is noticeable but all I really care about is reliability. The ride is a bit more lively due to the short WB but it feels solid. The brakes are outstanding. The Ram is the best Truck nowadays and if you're considering one, trust me- V8 is a must!!

Looks, gauges, reliability, sound system, size, color (bright red), brakes, customizability, interior door openers.

Better cd player, better mileage (although this has already been addressed in 09)

Love it!
By Srodeogirl7

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I just purchased my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7. V8, 6 Speed Manual a couple of days ago, used of course but in great shape. Best truck for my money! It is a great drive seats are way better on my bad back than my previous Ford. Love the power and having 6 speeds. I also love that i am a 5' tall girl and I can still reach the clutch with no problems. Great truck, i might have to become a Dodge girl!

Seats, Manual transmission option, looks great!

Well it goes without saying that $20 in gas sure doesn't get you to far with a V8, but it sure purrs!

Very reliable buy
By Billy

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck brand new in 2005 and have since put a little over 80,000 miles on it. I have never had any problems with the truck, did basic maintenance and she has been extremely reliable to me. I put a flowmaster muffler and a ram air intake and it increased the mpg buy a little also gave that v6 a nice v8 sound.

Interior looks amazing, comfortable seats for a truck, everything is easily accessible. Love the design of exterior, people definitely get out of your way when they see that big grill in their rear views.

Of course, mpg. It is a truck so I didn't expect 20+ mpg but the v8 does get better than the v6, although the v6 has plenty to of power to get up to speed on a highway.